Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uv reflection in fish

1. Jul 28, 2009 #1
    Snorkeling in the Red Sea, I noticed fish that were near the edge of my purple-range. They were small--perhaps 3-5 inches. Looking at guides I would say they were angelfish or anthias, but surely there are marine biologists who know exactly what these were. I have see other purple fish, these were unusal in that--even in sunlight--they were sometimes nearly obscured by the pigment.

Can anyone give a likely identification?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you find it in this Google Images search on purple tropical fish?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=purple+tropical+fish&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1

4. Jul 28, 2009 #3
    Yes, I did try that site and others. It's hard to tell one small reef fish from another from photos. I had not seen fish this shade of violet before so I thought they might be unique in terms of pigmentation. That's maybe not the case, so I thought perhaps someone with particular knowledge of those reefs might have an authoritative guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook