1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

U⊗V = U⊗W; find U,V,W

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1

srn

U⊕V = U⊕W; find U, V and W

I need to give an example of different vectorspaces U, V, W so that [itex]U \oplus V = U \oplus W[/itex].

Can anyone give a hint please? It's basically asking for V and W such that [itex]u_i + v_i = u_i + w_i[/itex] yet V and W have to be different. How?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You are working with tensor products right?? You didn't mean to type [itex]\oplus[/itex] for direct sum??

4. Jun 26, 2012 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi srn! :smile:

So... U, V and W have to be different, such as U=<(1,0)>, V = <(1,1)> and W=<(0,1)>?

5. Jun 27, 2012 #4

srn

Thanks for the replies. And sorry, clearly posted this too late because I messed up the symbol in the question. :( Meant to say direct sum indeed...

Hey. :) Yes they do. But here the direct sums are not equal though, right? I guess you meant the tensor product? Sorry :(

6. Jun 27, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Are you sure they are not equal (when taking the direct sum)??
    What are the direct sums??

7. Jun 27, 2012 #6

srn

If [itex](R,S, +)[/itex] is a vectorspace with [itex]U, W[/itex] as subspaces, then [itex]U \oplus W = \{u + w | u \in U, w \in W\}[/itex] and every [itex]s \in S[/itex] can only be written in one possible way (as the sum of vectors of U and W). I.e. it's every possible combination of elements in [itex](R, U, +)[/itex] and [itex](R, W, +)[/itex].

Suppose U=<(1,0)>, V = <(1,1)> and W=<(0,1)> are subspaces, then

[itex]U \oplus W = R^2[/itex]. But how is [itex]U \oplus V = R^2[/itex]? I'm imagining [itex]R^2[/itex]. V is every possible vector through [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{o}[/itex] with [itex]arg(v) = 1[/itex]. Then [itex]U \oplus V[/itex] would be the area under y = x for [itex]x > 0, y > 0[/itex]. How can you form (0,1) for example?

edit: come to think of it, would [itex](R, V, +)[/itex] also contain (0,1) and (1,2) etc? I sort of assumed from "[itex]\forall v \in V[/itex] and [itex]\forall r \in R: rv \in V[/itex]" that [itex](R, V, +)[/itex] would only contain (1,1), (2,2) etc, is that incorrect?

I'm sort of confused because my book says that if [itex]U \cap V \neq (0,0)[/itex] then [itex]U \oplus V[/itex] cannot exist. From the example, [itex]U \cap V[/itex] would be [itex]\{((x,0) | x \in R\}[/itex], but then (1,0) would be both in U and V?

8. Jun 27, 2012 #7
    If V = <(1,1)> then how can (1,0) be in V? There is no scalar a such that a*(1,1) = (1,0). Similarly, there is no scalar b such that b*(1,0) = (1,1). So the intersection of U and V is indeed (0,0).

9. Jun 27, 2012 #8

srn

Uh, right. So the intersection is (0,0) but [itex]U + V \neq R^2[/itex]. There's no scalars so that [itex]a\cdot (1,0) + b\cdot (1,1) = (0,1)[/itex], for example. So U and V cannot form [itex]R^2[/itex] and the direct sums are hence not equal? edit: ooops, a = -1 and b = 1 :) so they do actually form R^2

Sidenote:

If U=<(1,0) then V=<(0,1)> and W=<(0,-1)> would form the same direct sum space, and that also answers the question I think? edit: eh, no, (R, V, +) is equal to (R, W, +) now.

10. Jun 27, 2012 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let U be the subspace of R2 spanned by <1, 0>. That is U is the set of all vectors of the form <x, 0> for any real number x. Let V be the vector space spanned by <0, 1> and let W be the subspace spanned by <1, 1>.

You can then show that U⊕V= U⊕W.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook