Can Color Change Affect UV-Vis Spectrometry Readings at 270 nm?

• Thread starter davejieal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uv
In summary, UV visible spectrometry is a scientific technique that measures the amount of light absorbed by a substance at different wavelengths in the UV and visible regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. It works by passing light through a sample and measuring its absorption, and is commonly used in chemistry, biochemistry, and other fields. UV light has a shorter wavelength and higher energy than visible light, and both are used in this technique. Applications of UV visible spectrometry include identifying and quantifying chemical components, determining concentrations, and studying molecular structures. Its advantages include being non-destructive and non-invasive, quick and simple, and highly sensitive.
davejieal
i am conducting my thesis and i am adsorbing phenol with activated carbon, my original solution is clear(colorless) but when i cntact it with the adsorbent and filter it after a certain time, it became colored of some very pale yellow. i am just wondering will the color change have an effect on the reading on the spectrometer if my basis is 270 nm for the wavelength of phenol?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
a little help wuold be very very helpful

1. What is UV visible spectrometry?

UV visible spectrometry is a scientific technique used to measure the amount of light absorbed by a substance at different wavelengths in the ultraviolet (UV) and visible (visible) regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. It is commonly used in chemistry, biochemistry, and other fields to identify and quantify the chemical components of a sample.

2. How does UV visible spectrometry work?

UV visible spectrometry works by passing a beam of light through a sample and measuring the amount of light that is absorbed at different wavelengths. This absorption of light is caused by the interaction of the sample's molecules with the specific wavelengths of light. The resulting absorption spectrum can then be used to identify and quantify the components of the sample.

3. What is the difference between UV and visible light?

UV light has a shorter wavelength and higher energy than visible light. UV light is not visible to the human eye, while visible light is the range of wavelengths that can be seen by the human eye. In UV visible spectrometry, both UV and visible light are used to analyze a sample, with UV light being used for more energetic and complex molecules and visible light for simpler molecules.

4. What are the applications of UV visible spectrometry?

UV visible spectrometry has a wide range of applications, including identifying and quantifying chemical components in a sample, determining the concentration of a substance in a solution, and studying the structure and properties of molecules. It is commonly used in fields such as chemistry, biochemistry, environmental science, and pharmaceuticals.

5. What are the advantages of using UV visible spectrometry?

There are several advantages to using UV visible spectrometry. It is a non-destructive and non-invasive technique, meaning the sample can be recovered and used for further analysis. It is also a relatively quick and simple method, with results available in a matter of minutes. Additionally, it is a highly sensitive technique, able to detect small changes in concentration and suitable for analyzing a wide range of substances.