1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

V^2 / v^2 + 4

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

how do i integrate

v^2 / v^2 + 4

2. Relevant equations

i understand this has something to do with arctan

but if i use u substitution to let v=(u/2) so (on the bottom) it becomes (1/4)(1+(v/2)^2)

there's still a v^2 on the top which the u substitution does not get rid of. Help :[

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2009 #2
    this is a bit of a gues but why dont you write it as

[itex]\int \frac{v}{2} \frac{2v}{v^2+4} dv[/itex]

then do it by parts but for the 2nd term you can substitute [itex]u=v^2+4[/itex] giving [itex]\frac{du}{u}[/itex].

you'll get logs not arctans which i reckon is true because the your integral isn't of the form [itex]\int \frac{dx}{x^2+a^2}[/itex]

4. Feb 2, 2009 #3
    Use polynomial division to rewrite [tex] \frac{v^2}{v^2 + 4} [/tex] as [tex] 1 - \frac{4}{v^2 + 4}[/tex]. Can you integrate it now?

5. Feb 2, 2009 #4
    ...or that lol!

would't my method work as well?

6. Feb 2, 2009 #5
    Doing it your way, you'd have to evaluate [tex] \int ln(x^2+4) [/tex] which evaluates to

[tex] 4 tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right) + x \left(ln(x^2+4) - 2\right) [/tex]

My way seems to be easier.

Let me summarize what happens your way, I switched v's to x's.

[tex] \int \frac{x^2}{x^2+4} dx = \int \frac{x}{2} \frac{2x}{x^2+4} dx = \frac{x}{2} ln(x^2+4) - \frac{1}{2} \int ln(x^2+4) dx = \frac{x}{2} ln(x^2+4) - \frac{1}{2} \left(4 tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right) + x \left(ln(x^2+4) - 2\right)\right) [/tex]

Now obviously [tex] \frac{x}{2} ln(x^2+4) [/tex] will cancel and you will be left with

[tex] x - 2 tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right) [/tex]

This is the exact same answer you get if you do it my way:

[tex] \int \frac{x^2}{x^2+4} dx = \int 1 - \frac{4}{x^2+4} dx = x - 4\left(\frac{1}{2} tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right) = x - 2 tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?