1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

V and eV question

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Light of the wavelength Lambda = 5893 Angstrom is incident on a surface. The stopping potential for the emitted electrons is 0.36 volt. Calc the max energy of the photoelectron, the work function and threshold frequency.

my question is about the stopping potential, the problem is given in volts, how do I convert to eV? does "emitted electrons" indicate it as an Electron volt in words, so that the eV would be 0.36?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2
    Well volts and eV are fundamentally different

an eV is energy, you could, for example, express it in joules if you wanted to

a volt is a unit of potential difference

An eV is how much energy an electron would have after being accelerated across one volt of potential difference
  4. Jan 23, 2008 #3
    If I took the 0.36V and multiplies by e = (1.6E-19) would that give me an eV? I'm also not understanding your explanation very well, is there any other way to put it?

5. Jan 23, 2008 #4

Yes, that tells you how many Joules in 0.36eV.
  6. Jan 23, 2008 #5
    so...just to make sure...

if I'm given volts I can multiply by e (1.6E-19) to get eV?

so 0.36V x 1.6E-19 = 5.76E-20eV?

7. Jan 23, 2008 #6

No, 0.36eV = 5.76E-20 J
  8. Jan 23, 2008 #7
    But if the problem gives Volts as in "The stopping potential for the emitted electrons is 0.36 volt"

how do I get eV out of this?
  9. Jan 23, 2008 #8

Then the electron energy associated with this potential is 0.36eV, which as you have shown is 5.76E-20 J. Generally energy = charge * potential.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?