Can V and x be Separated in this Differential Equation?

• Thread starter hotjohn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separable
In summary: Hi hotjohn:As I said previously, using y = z-1 is not a necessity, and not something that must be done. I thought that making that substitution might help you see the separability more easily.Can you complete the solution of the problem from dy/dx = (1+y) × (1+x2)?If so, you are done.Regards,Buzz
hotjohn

Homework Statement

i am asked to form a differential equation using dy/dx = 1 + y + (x^2 ) + y(x^2) , but i gt stucked here , homework to proceed? as we can see , the V and x are not separable

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 0058.jpg
    0058.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 319
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hotjohn:

You may have a typo. You say
V and x are not separable​
but the is no "V" in the equation.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi hotjohn:

You may have a typo. You say
V and x are not separable​
but the is no "V" in the equation.

Regards,
Buzz
sorry , i mean y and x . How to continue ?

Hi hotjohn:

If you factor the 2nd equation in your attachment, and make a substitution for y in terms of a new variable, say z, you can get a separable equation involving z and x.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi hotjohn:

If you factor the 2nd equation in your attachment, and make a substitution for y in terms of a new variable, say z, you can get a separable equation involving z and x.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz
sorry , i didnt get you , can you explain further ?

Hi hotjohn:

dy/dx = (1+y) × (1+x2)
y = z-1

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi hotjohn:

dy/dx = (1+y) × (1+x2)
y = z-1

Regards,
Buzz
can you expalin why there is a need to sub y = z-1 ?? and how do u knw why should sub y = z-1 ? why can't be y = z-2 ? or others ?

hotjohn said:
can you expalin why there is a need to sub y = z-1 ?? and how do u knw why should sub y = z-1 ? why can't be y = z-2 ? or others ?
You don't have to sub if you don't want to. Once it's separated just solve it like you would any seperable equation.

Crush1986 said:
You don't have to sub if you don't want to. Once it's separated just solve it like you would any seperable equation.
how to determine the value of number or new constant to be substituted into the original equation ?

Remember, unless you are given initial conditions you will have an infinite amount of answers to most differential equations.

Crush1986 said:
Remember, unless you are given initial conditions you will have an infinite amount of answers to most differential equations.
can it be y = z-2 , y = z-3 and etc ??

hotjohn said:
Hi hotjohn:

It is not a need, but a convenience.
y=z-1 → z=y+1 → dz/dx =z × (1+x2) →dz/z = (1+x2) dx​
This in now the standard form for a separable equation.

Regards,
Buzz

hotjohn said:
how do we know that y must be replaced with y=z-1 ?
Hi hotjohn:

As I said previously, using y = z-1 is not a necessity, and not something that must be done. I thought that making that substitution might help you see the separability more easily.

Can you complete the solution of the problem from
dy/dx = (1+y) × (1+x2) ?​

If so, you are done.

Regards,
Buzz

1. Can V and x be separated in this differential equation?

The answer to this question depends on the specific form of the differential equation. In general, if the equation can be written in the form of dy/dx = f(x)g(y), then it can be separated into two equations for x and y. However, if the equation is not in this form, then it may not be possible to separate V and x.

2. What does it mean to separate V and x in a differential equation?

Separating V and x in a differential equation means rewriting the equation in a form where V and x are on opposite sides of the equation and are not multiplied together. This allows for the solution of the equation to be found by integrating each side separately.

3. Why is it important to be able to separate V and x in a differential equation?

Being able to separate V and x in a differential equation allows for the use of the method of separation of variables, which is a powerful technique for solving certain types of differential equations. It also simplifies the integration process and makes it easier to find a solution to the equation.

4. What are some techniques for separating V and x in a differential equation?

The most common technique for separating V and x in a differential equation is the method of separation of variables. Other techniques include using substitution, transforming the equation into a separable form, or multiplying both sides by an integrating factor.

5. Are there any restrictions or limitations when separating V and x in a differential equation?

Yes, there are some restrictions and limitations when separating V and x in a differential equation. The equation must be in a certain form (such as dy/dx = f(x)g(y)) in order to be separable. Additionally, there may be cases where separating V and x is not possible or does not lead to a solution that can be easily integrated.