1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

V and x separable?

1. Feb 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i am asked to form a differential equation using dy/dx = 1 + y + (x^2 ) + y(x^2) , but i gt stucked here , hw to proceed? as we can see , the V and x are not separable

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2016 #2
    Hi hotjohn:

You may have a typo. You say
    V and x are not separable​
    but the is no "V" in the equation.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Feb 14, 2016 #3
    sorry , i mean y and x . How to continue ?

5. Feb 14, 2016 #4
    Hi hotjohn:

If you factor the 2nd equation in your attachment, and make a substitution for y in terms of a new variable, say z, you can get a separable equation involving z and x.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Buzz

6. Feb 14, 2016 #5
    sorry , i didnt get you , can you explain further ?

7. Feb 14, 2016 #6
    Hi hotjohn:

dy/dx = (1+y) × (1+x2)
    y = z-1

Regards,
    Buzz

8. Feb 14, 2016 #7
    can you expalin why there is a need to sub y = z-1 ?? and how do u knw why should sub y = z-1 ? why cant be y = z-2 ? or others ?

9. Feb 14, 2016 #8
    You don't have to sub if you don't want to. Once it's separated just solve it like you would any seperable equation.

10. Feb 14, 2016 #9
    how to determine the value of number or new constant to be substituted into the original equation ?

11. Feb 14, 2016 #10
    Remember, unless you are given initial conditions you will have an infinite amount of answers to most differential equations.

12. Feb 15, 2016 #11
    can it be y = z-2 , y = z-3 and etc ??

13. Feb 15, 2016 #12
  14. Feb 15, 2016 #13
    ??
    i found that if substituition of y=z-1 is not used , the whole equation become inseparable ...........

how do we know that y must be replaced with y=z-1 ?

15. Feb 15, 2016 #14
    Hi hotjohn:

As I said previously, using y = z-1 is not a necessity, and not something that must be done. I thought that making that substitution might help you see the separability more easily.

Can you complete the solution of the problem from
    dy/dx = (1+y) × (1+x2) ?​

If so, you are done.

Regards,
    Buzz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted