Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: V not vector space with degree 3 polynomials

1. Oct 31, 2005 #1
    Okay, so i have this problem in my text, and I've almost figured it out (i think) but i need a little help

"Let V be the set of all polynomials of degree 3. Define addition and scalar multiplication pointwise. Prove that V with respect to these operations of addiont and scalar multiplication is NOT a vector space"

I have pointwise addition and pointwise scalar multiplication defined... but i'm a little stumped on why V wouldn't be a vector space

-i know that V cannot have a 0 element (0 is not a degree 3 polynomial) and thus it cannot be a vector space, but that doesn't really explain it via addition/multiplication
    -also, i know that the addition of 2 degree 3 polynomials does not always result in a degree 3 polynomial ie: x^3 + (-x^3)=0 (not a degree 3 polynomial)

if anyone has any other reasons why V cannot be a vector space according to pointwise addition/scalar multiplication please let me know

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure that 0 is not a 3rd degree polynomial?

4. Oct 31, 2005 #3
    i dont know! :S

5. Oct 31, 2005 #4
    Your reasoning looks OK. You are talking about polynomials of only degree 3 right? Not P3 which would represent all polynomials of degree 3 or less.

6. Nov 1, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The (non) existence of the "0" vector certainly is a property of addition!

Or you look at (x3+ x)+ (x- x3). What does that tell you about closure of addition?

Or you could look at the scalar multiplication 0(x3).

7. Nov 1, 2005 #6

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought that 0 = 0x3 is a 3rd degree polynomial, was I wrong?

8. Nov 1, 2005 #7
    EnumaElish, that would mean that the polynomial x would also be of degree 3, since x = 0x^3 + x. Clearly this is not what we want. Usually, one defines the degree of a polynomial as the largest exponent n of x (or whatever the variable is called) such that the coefficient in front of x^n is not 0. (Sometimes one takes the degree of the zero polyonomial to be -1 or -infinity.)

9. Nov 1, 2005 #8

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hm, this makes sense, thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook