1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

V not vector space with degree 3 polynomials

1. Oct 31, 2005 #1
    Okay, so i have this problem in my text, and I've almost figured it out (i think) but i need a little help

"Let V be the set of all polynomials of degree 3. Define addition and scalar multiplication pointwise. Prove that V with respect to these operations of addiont and scalar multiplication is NOT a vector space"

I have pointwise addition and pointwise scalar multiplication defined... but i'm a little stumped on why V wouldn't be a vector space

-i know that V cannot have a 0 element (0 is not a degree 3 polynomial) and thus it cannot be a vector space, but that doesn't really explain it via addition/multiplication
    -also, i know that the addition of 2 degree 3 polynomials does not always result in a degree 3 polynomial ie: x^3 + (-x^3)=0 (not a degree 3 polynomial)

if anyone has any other reasons why V cannot be a vector space according to pointwise addition/scalar multiplication please let me know

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure that 0 is not a 3rd degree polynomial?

4. Oct 31, 2005 #3
    i dont know! :S

5. Oct 31, 2005 #4
    Your reasoning looks OK. You are talking about polynomials of only degree 3 right? Not P3 which would represent all polynomials of degree 3 or less.

6. Nov 1, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The (non) existence of the "0" vector certainly is a property of addition!

Or you look at (x3+ x)+ (x- x3). What does that tell you about closure of addition?

Or you could look at the scalar multiplication 0(x3).

7. Nov 1, 2005 #6

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought that 0 = 0x3 is a 3rd degree polynomial, was I wrong?

8. Nov 1, 2005 #7
    EnumaElish, that would mean that the polynomial x would also be of degree 3, since x = 0x^3 + x. Clearly this is not what we want. Usually, one defines the degree of a polynomial as the largest exponent n of x (or whatever the variable is called) such that the coefficient in front of x^n is not 0. (Sometimes one takes the degree of the zero polyonomial to be -1 or -infinity.)

9. Nov 1, 2005 #8

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hm, this makes sense, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?