V not vector space with degree 3 polynomials

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that the set V, which comprises all polynomials of degree 3, is not a vector space with respect to pointwise addition and scalar multiplication. The conversation considers various reasons, such as the lack of a 0 element and the closure of addition, to explain why V cannot be a vector space according to these operations. The conversation also clarifies that the degree of a polynomial is defined as the largest exponent of the variable with a non-zero coefficient, and that the existence of a 0 polynomial would lead to inconsistencies.
chantella28
Okay, so i have this problem in my text, and I've almost figured it out (i think) but i need a little help

"Let V be the set of all polynomials of degree 3. Define addition and scalar multiplication pointwise. Prove that V with respect to these operations of addiont and scalar multiplication is NOT a vector space"

I have pointwise addition and pointwise scalar multiplication defined... but I'm a little stumped on why V wouldn't be a vector space

-i know that V cannot have a 0 element (0 is not a degree 3 polynomial) and thus it cannot be a vector space, but that doesn't really explain it via addition/multiplication
-also, i know that the addition of 2 degree 3 polynomials does not always result in a degree 3 polynomial ie: x^3 + (-x^3)=0 (not a degree 3 polynomial)

if anyone has any other reasons why V cannot be a vector space according to pointwise addition/scalar multiplication please let me know

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that 0 is not a 3rd degree polynomial?

i don't know! :S

Your reasoning looks OK. You are talking about polynomials of only degree 3 right? Not P3 which would represent all polynomials of degree 3 or less.

The (non) existence of the "0" vector certainly is a property of addition!

Or you look at (x3+ x)+ (x- x3). What does that tell you about closure of addition?

Or you could look at the scalar multiplication 0(x3).

I thought that 0 = 0x3 is a 3rd degree polynomial, was I wrong?

EnumaElish, that would mean that the polynomial x would also be of degree 3, since x = 0x^3 + x. Clearly this is not what we want. Usually, one defines the degree of a polynomial as the largest exponent n of x (or whatever the variable is called) such that the coefficient in front of x^n is not 0. (Sometimes one takes the degree of the zero polyonomial to be -1 or -infinity.)

Hm, this makes sense, thanks.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors, along with operations of addition and scalar multiplication. These operations must follow certain rules in order for the set to be considered a vector space.

2. How do you determine if a set is a vector space?

In order for a set to be considered a vector space, it must satisfy the following properties:

• It must have a set of vectors that can be added together.
  • The vectors must be closed under addition, meaning that when you add two vectors together, the result is also a vector in the set.
  • There must be a zero vector, which when added to any vector in the set, results in the same vector.
  • The vectors must be closed under scalar multiplication, meaning that when you multiply a vector by a scalar (a number), the result is still a vector in the set.
  • The operations of addition and scalar multiplication must follow certain rules, such as commutativity and associativity.

3. How does degree 3 polynomials relate to vector spaces?

Degree 3 polynomials can be considered as vectors in a vector space, where the coefficients of the polynomial are the entries of the vector. For example, the polynomial 2x^3 + 5x^2 - 3x + 7 can be represented as the vector [2, 5, -3, 7].

4. What are some examples of vector spaces with degree 3 polynomials?

Some examples of vector spaces with degree 3 polynomials include:

• The set of all degree 3 polynomials with real coefficients.
  • The set of all degree 3 polynomials with complex coefficients.
  • The set of all cubic functions in three-dimensional space.

5. Can a set of degree 3 polynomials be a vector space if it does not satisfy all the properties?

No, in order for a set to be considered a vector space, it must satisfy all the properties mentioned in question 2. If a set does not satisfy even one of these properties, then it cannot be considered a vector space.