1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

V squared damping after impact

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    vinit = sqrt(2g*h); h = drop distance
    vfinal = 0;

xinit = 0;
    xfinal = 100mm;

a = g;

Issue: non-linear damping.
    M*x'' - b*(x')^2 - k*x = 0;
    b = 128*mu*(length fluid travels)*(D^4(piston)/[(D(hydraulic)^4)(orifice opening)]

every book I've been reading on vibrations damping says there's no solution for v^2 damping. Currently reading "Influence of Damping in Vibration Isolation" and they give an equivalent linear damping coefficient as:
    C(eq) = (D0)/(∏ω(z0)^2); D0 being energy dissipated per cycle, z0 being relative displacement.

Then they go into equivalent damping force being: γ*F; γ= (2/sqrt(∏))*gamma((n+2)/2)/gamma((n+3)/2)...

very long story short. Is there anyway to do a stepwise energy dissipation of a mass/spring/damper problem? Can I use something like: initial energy in - energy to compress spring - energy dissipated by damper = 0.

the issue I think is with this is that I don't know how to figure out energy dissipated by a damper whose dependent on v^2...

can I define a function that says: this system was deflected by 0.1mm at this time and Z amount of energy was taken away from the initial impact. W energy was taken up by the spring, and X was taken by the damper. This is how much much energy was left over at the boundary of this iteration...

Im in analysis paralysis at the moment and I think I'm overthinking this...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Isn't x'' = a = g = constant? So
    b(x')^2 + kx = ma?

4. Nov 1, 2011 #3
    Yes. The thing is figuring out what b value I need for any drop between 25mm and 1200mm. At a height of 1000mm what b do I need to be critically damped? At a height of 400mm what b do I need to be critically damped? and so on. Vibration teacher says that the impact is making this problem very difficult to solve. Because the damping is non-linear and because the area of the orifice is also changing (see fluids orifice measurements) this problem becomes non-uniform area, non-linear damping.

I have the non-uniform area calculations by using the hydraulic diameter: Dh = 4*(area of orifice)/(wetted perimeter). I have the damping coefficient calculations: 128*mu*L*(d(piston)^4)/(d(orifice)^4)...now I dont have the damping coefficient necessary for any given height so that I can get the orifice diameter required at that height.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  5. Nov 1, 2011 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oops, my initial assumption is incorrect, on reflection (even though you agreed!).

I though the equation would be 1st order but it's not. And I have to cconcede that I wouldn't know how to approach it. What's the background material for this problem? I mean, numerical techniques or whatever? What's the complete statement of the problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook