Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm sure he can get rich sleeping :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Paid vacations?!?!?! Jeez, talk about freeloaders.

No vacations for me. The years of travel for my work left me with a profound hatred of hotels, airports, and suitcases. Tsu made a trip to Hawaii but that was last spring, I think. She also has a family thing to attend in Michigan.

Tsu goes to Hawaii a lot. She has a cousin on Kawaii...

Edit: Odd, just as I was making this post, I got a call for a roadtrip from an old customer. No, thanks!

Last edited:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last year I had 438 hours banked, which is almost 3 months of vacation days.. you really need to be a lazy bum in order to consume all of those hours :smile:
That's why my vacation policy has changed to a "use it or lose it" one. When they were banked, it was a huge cost liability for the university, because they'd get paid out when you left (I got about a month's extra salary when I left my last university because of all my banked vacation days). Bad enough with us faculty on our sad salaries, but it was a huge liability with all the physician salaries also accumulating those banked days.

The silly thing is that there have even been a few times I tried using them, and then I guess so many other people wanted the same day off, the university tossed an extra paid holiday our way (usually they do this around Christmas or New Years), so I didn't need the vacation day to take the day off.

Though, I also agree with Cristo that a day off here and there isn't a vacation. Sure, everyone needs that day here and there to just tack onto a long weekend for a family event, or to stay home and wait for something to get repaired or delivered, or run errands you can't do on weekends or evenings. But that's not vacation. A week is the minimum for a proper vacation. That's usually all I can take off at a time, and it's barely enough. A full two weeks is much better, in my opinion, with 10 days of actual travel time, and 2 days on either end for packing, unpacking, doing all the laundry before returning to work, etc., so you aren't exhausted after one day back from vacation.

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That's why my vacation policy has changed to a "use it or lose it" one. When they were banked, it was a huge cost liability for the university, because they'd get paid out when you left (I got about a month's extra salary when I left my last university because of all my banked vacation days). Bad enough with us faculty on our sad salaries, but it was a huge liability with all the physician salaries also accumulating those banked days.
Here it is also use it or lose it. You can take a maximum of 192 hours to the next year, but you get 315 new ones at the start of the year. There is no way to get those hours back in salary or in other means, so when my contract ended all those hours went up in smoke. Even more interesting is that we need to work for 40 hours in a week, but only get paid for 37.5 hours. You are supposed to take a day off every few weeks to make up for the extra time you've worked :rolleyes:

I said "no," as it was a "working" vacation, driving cross-country to pick up some household goods and my son.

We did have fun!

Cod

Scheduled to go to Cooperstown, NY in September. I'm a die-hard baseball fan and my wife finally bought in to the idea of going up to Cooperstown for a family vacation. I know what I'll be doing there...