Vaccines in Sci-Fi

• Thread starter chirhone
  • Start date
Any vaccines related themes in sci-fi?

I'm thinking what if majority of the world was vaccinated against covid-19. Then 2 years later, there are side effects of say infertility or neurological deficit or slow death. It can decimate the world's population leaving only some hidden population in the amazon jungle.

Answers and Replies

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Wars of the Worlds involves the invading Martians not having a functional vaccine.
One could argue this leads to their downfall.

Likes hutchphd and atyy
The Wars of the Worlds involves the invading Martians not having a functional vaccine.
One could argue this leads to their downfall.
The one by Tom Cruise is good and I think I may watch it again.

If you want to invade a planet. What faster way to make all take trojan horse "vaccine" (meant to destroy them) by first introducing a virus like covid-19. So this idea can be used in movies or even by malevolent extra solar evil federation to conquer worlds.

So I want to watch Star Trek with this ideas. Any episodes in mind?

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The War of the Worlds is a book written in by H. G. Wells in just before 1900.
However, the book may still be more realistic than the film.
You may want read it.

A similar lack of ability to deal with diseases of an area limited european colonizaion of Africa for a while.

256bits
Gold Member
Johnny Mnemonic was of a cure related theme.

BWV

I'm thinking what if majority of the world was vaccinated against covid-19. Then 2 years later, there are side effects of say infertility or neurological deficit or slow death. It can decimate the world's population leaving only some hidden population in the amazon jungle.
An antivaxxer's wet dream - Survival of the stupidest?

Stargate SG-1, episodes "2010" and "2001" : alien race with wondertech/drugs (and a hidden agenda) gives Earth a lifespan doubling medicine, that later is proven to be the cause of mass sterilization and depopulation.

James Blish "Cities in Flight" - anti-aging medicines are currency.

There are quite a few more, but frankly actual human civilizations' histories have plenty of examples.

Last edited:
If you want to invade a planet. What faster way to make all take trojan horse "vaccine" (meant to destroy them) by first introducing a virus like covid-19.
That reminds me of Rainbow Six.

If you want to invade a planet. What faster way to make all take trojan horse "vaccine" (meant to destroy them) by first introducing a virus like covid-19. So this idea can be used in movies or even by malevolent extra solar evil federation to conquer worlds.
This line of thinking perplexes me a little. So some kind of creature has the tech to travel across the stars and they want to invade a planet, and the best they can come up with is somehow duping an entire population into taking a vaccine and then waiting for the population to die out because they are sterile?

Wouldn't they just engineer a virus to do the dirty work? Or orbital bombardment, or poisonous gases or any other number of ways to extinguish life without doing too much damage?

This line of thinking perplexes me a little. So some kind of creature has the tech to travel across the stars and they want to invade a planet, and the best they can come up with is somehow duping an entire population into taking a vaccine and then waiting for the population to die out because they are sterile?

Wouldn't they just engineer a virus to do the dirty work? Or orbital bombardment, or poisonous gases or any other number of ways to extinguish life without doing too much damage?
In the Stargate franchise episodes I referred to a few posts upstream, the "victim" planets end up as agricultural provinces.

When the Europeans gave the First Nations peoples old blankets to use - riddled with smallpox (and since I wasn't there I have no idea if it was deliberate or not) - the upshot was not devastation of the land.