Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vaccum tubes

1. Sep 27, 2006 #1
    Hey all;

None of my EE classes cover vac tubes since they're largely obsolete. The thing is, for my senior design project (I have a year or so, no rush.) I'd like to build an audio amplifier. From experience I know the advantages of vac tubes and am willing to put up with the drawbacks.

I was wondering if you know of any extremely good texts that cover tubes from top to bottom. I know nothing about them and will have to teach myself completely. IE a book covering a tube as an extension or special case of another element won't do. Help?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I don't know whether or not this will be helpful, but I have a bunch of old radio and TV repair manuals from the 50's & 60's, including one specifically about tubes. They're at my mother's place, so it will take a while to get them. I'll give you the titles, authors and publishers so you can see if you can find them. Otherwise, I can probably e-mail or PM excerpts without violating copyrights.

4. Sep 28, 2006 #3

turbo

Gold Member

You might want to check out Randall Aiken's recommendations. I have some of these books, and his "take" on them is pretty accurate, IMO.

http://www.aikenamps.com/Bibliography.html

5. Sep 28, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

6. Sep 28, 2006 #5

SGT

I know some audiofiles say that tubes are superior to solid state for audio amplifiers, but I don't see any reason for that. I believe it is only another urban legend.

7. Sep 28, 2006 #6

turbo

Gold Member

I am now in my mid-50s, and I can hear frequencies that teenagers hear that people my age typically cannot (mosquito ring tone). Please believe me when I tell you that extremely short rise-times and "accurate" SS amplification of input signals does not always equal "pleasant" music. My best stereo rig 25 years back was a set of Mac 30 monoblocs with a clean SS preamp and a pair of Klipsch speakers. Unfortunately, I moved frequently to follow construction jobs, and allowed convenience to rule. I went with a nice Sansui integrated amp with smaller Bose speakers that were better-matched impediance-wise. :yuck: I want those Mac 30s back! :cry:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  8. Sep 30, 2006 #7

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I see some great links on berkeman's reference. I would also add the following link, part of NEETS (Naval Electrical Engineering Training Series). They outline a comprehensive treatment of electron tube theory and application.

Be sure to check out some of their other Elec Engr discussions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?