Exploring the Potential of Vacuum Airships

In summary, the conversation focused on the concept of a vacuum airship and the potential issues with its design, such as the required structural strength and weight. The idea was to use a lightweight rigid structure filled with hydrogen or helium, which would be slowly vented as the ship rises to maintain balance. This could potentially lead to a vacuum-like condition without exposing the structure to excessive forces. However, previous discussions on the topic have concluded that it is both impossible and a bad idea.
Joes12
TL;DR Summary
Are vacuum airships possible without unobtanium materials?
I was thinking about the vacuum airship concept that was conceived a long time ago. For example:

I think the main problem is the required structural strength of the container, and also being light weight.

I have not run any numbers, what do you think the potential issues with the following concept could be?

At ground level you start off with an airship with a lightwight rigid structure but it is filled with hydrogen or helium, so that the structure does not have to take all the load as if there was a vacuum.

As the ship rises, you slowly vent the helium/hydrogen in a controlled way so that there is still boyancy but this is balanced so that the structural forces do not beome too great. I suppose you might also just be able to compress it for more control and reusability, but that might require a compressor that is too heavy - haven't done any analysis or calculations on that.

The fixed rigid structure means that the internal density is decreasing as you vent the gas. As the ship rises, you can approach a vacuum type condition without exposing the structure to excessive forces. After the gas has been released (as much as possible) the ship would remain in place. You could then intermittently turn on the compressors to maintain the condition.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you look at the bottom of this page, you will see a list of other PF threads on this same question. It has been discussed multiple times here on PF. Read those threads first, then if you still have questions, post again here.

Likes russ_watters
They seem to be the same area of discussion, but I don't think the same question from what I have seen.

...the general.consensus from those past threads is that it is both impossible and a terrible idea.

Joes12 said:
Summary: Are vacuum airships possible without unobtanium materials?

I think the main problem is the required structural strength of the container, and also being light weight.
And one of those threads has exactly that calculation. I just checked, and it is still there.

Seek, and you shall find.

Likes russ_watters

1. What is a vacuum airship?

A vacuum airship is a type of aircraft that uses a large vacuum chamber filled with lighter-than-air gas to achieve lift and flight. The vacuum chamber is typically made of a strong, lightweight material such as carbon fiber and is sealed to maintain the vacuum.

2. How do vacuum airships work?

Vacuum airships work by utilizing the principle of buoyancy, which states that an object will float in a fluid if it is less dense than the fluid. In the case of vacuum airships, the vacuum chamber filled with lighter-than-air gas is less dense than the surrounding air, allowing the airship to float and move through the air.

3. What are the potential benefits of vacuum airships?

Vacuum airships have the potential to be more efficient and environmentally friendly than traditional aircraft. They require less fuel to operate and produce fewer emissions, making them a more sustainable form of transportation. They also have the ability to carry heavy loads and travel long distances without the need for refueling.

4. What are the challenges of exploring the potential of vacuum airships?

One of the main challenges of vacuum airships is the technology required to maintain a vacuum chamber. The material used for the chamber must be strong enough to withstand the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the airship. Additionally, there are challenges in controlling and maneuvering the airship, as well as issues with weather conditions and potential hazards in the air.

5. What are some potential applications of vacuum airships?

Vacuum airships have the potential to be used for a variety of applications, such as cargo transportation, tourism, and scientific research. They could also be used for disaster relief and emergency response, as they have the ability to reach remote or inaccessible areas. Additionally, vacuum airships could be used for space exploration, as they have the potential to carry heavy payloads and travel to high altitudes.