What happens when vacuum is applied to an elastic tube filled with tap water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of applying vacuum to a system consisting of a rigid chamber, an elastic tube containing tap water, and an open end. The speaker mentions that when the vacuum is applied, the water overflows and an air bubble forms inside the tube. This is likely due to trapped gas in the tap water. The size of the air bubble is determined by the ideal gas law. The speaker suggests using a stiffer hose and removing trapped gas from the tap water to prevent the tube from collapsing. The final question asks if only the green part of the tube needs to be stiffer, to which the response is yes.
JohnGe
First of all, I want to ask for your understanding for my not well English.
I want to discuss all the effects will take place if we begin applying vacuum to the following system http://www.inkline.gr/temp/Vacuum-ElasticTube.gif .
Data:
The tube is elastic (squeezable)
The chamber is rigid
The tube contains tap water and it's closed at the right end
The final vacuum supposed to be about -0.9 atm (the water don't boil in this pressure at ambient temperature)

When I apply vacuum to the actual system happens a strange thing: the water brim over the open end. Why? After a bit an air bubble is formed inside the tube (the bubble is about 1/10 of the total tube volume). Why?
When I apply a vacuum about 0.75 atm the above effects are 10 times less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Tap water has a lot of trapped gas in it. Fill a glass with tap water and let it sit on a table over night. You should see a lot of bubbles form on the glass. Some of the bubbles are a result of exposure to the air while sitting on your table while others are causesed by gases trapped within the water escaping. That could be the cause of your gas bubble. To help eliminate this you can draw a vacuum on the water to remove all air bubbles before use. This sort of thing shows itself when working with silicone molding gels or with epoxies.

The size of the bubble is a function of the ideal gas law. Remember, an ideal gas at a volume of V at some pressure will become a volume of kV at some lesser pressure (k being some constant) and that is why the bubble grows as you reduce pressure.

[tex]V\uparrow=\frac{\overrightarrow{nRT}}{P\downarrow}[/tex]

Next the brimming: You say you are using a soft hose. The brimming is probably due to a) the gas bubble formation and expansions along with b) the collapse of your hose. Get a stiffer hose and remove the trapped gases from your tap water.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Just one more question. To eliminate the collapse of the tube: according to my understanding, only the green part of the tube needs to be stiffer http://www.inkline.gr/temp/Vacuum-ElasticTube2.gif , am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you are correct.

What is a vacuum and how is it applied to a system?

A vacuum is a state where there is no matter or air present in a specific area. It is applied to a system by removing all the air or gas from the system using a vacuum pump.

Why is vacuum applied to a system?

Vacuum is applied to a system for various reasons such as removing impurities, creating a controlled environment for experiments, preserving materials, and aiding in certain processes like freeze drying and distillation.

What are the different types of vacuum systems?

The most commonly used vacuum systems are mechanical pumps, diffusion pumps, and turbomolecular pumps. Other types include cryogenic pumps, ion pumps, and sorption pumps.

What are the benefits of using vacuum in a system?

Using vacuum in a system can help increase efficiency, reduce contamination, and create a controlled environment for experiments. It can also aid in improving product quality and extending the lifespan of materials.

What are the potential risks of using vacuum in a system?

The main risk of using vacuum in a system is the possibility of implosion or collapse if the system is not designed to withstand the external pressure. This can be prevented by using appropriate materials and following safety guidelines.