1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vacuum buoyancy problem

1. Oct 9, 2005 #1
    A very powerful vacuum cleaner has a hose 2.75 cm in diameter. With no nozzle on the hose, what is the weight of the heaviest brick that the cleaner can lift?

So I need to find the pressure and then multiply by the area of the hose... but if P= density*g*h... would I use the density for air? What would the height be?

Am I approaching this the right way?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 'very powerful' means that it produces practically a perfect vacuum in the hose. So you have to find the total force at the hose opening, assuming that the pressure inside the hose is 0,

One atm = 101325 Pa (N/m^2)

Use F = PA where A = area of hose opening. You don't need to know the density of the air.

AM

4. Oct 9, 2005 #3
    So I assume the pressure is equal to 1 atm? Or 0? I'm confused... If it was zero then the Force is 0...

5. Oct 9, 2005 #4
    oh wait, nevermind... i got it! thanks!

6. Oct 10, 2005 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get:

[tex]F_{net} = P_{atm}A_{hose} - P_{hose}A_{hose}[/tex]

[tex]F_{net} = 1.01325e5 * 5.94(e-4) N - 0 = 59.6 N[/tex]

or the weight of a 6 kg. brick. This is a force that would accelerate a 6 kg brick at 9.8 m/sec^2. Imagine a tornado 'hose' the size of a house and you can see why a tornado can send cars sailing through the air.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?