AZING!Calculating Vacuum Buoyancy: Maximum Weight a Vacuum Cleaner Can Lift

In summary, the conversation discusses using a powerful vacuum cleaner with a 2.75 cm diameter hose to lift the heaviest brick possible. The approach involves finding the total force at the hose opening, assuming a perfect vacuum and using the equation F = PA. The conversation also mentions the weight of a 6 kg brick and compares the force to a tornado.
je55ica7
A very powerful vacuum cleaner has a hose 2.75 cm in diameter. With no nozzle on the hose, what is the weight of the heaviest brick that the cleaner can lift?

So I need to find the pressure and then multiply by the area of the hose... but if P= density*g*h... would I use the density for air? What would the height be?

Am I approaching this the right way?

Physics news on Phys.org
je55ica7 said:
A very powerful vacuum cleaner has a hose 2.75 cm in diameter. With no nozzle on the hose, what is the weight of the heaviest brick that the cleaner can lift?

So I need to find the pressure and then multiply by the area of the hose... but if P= density*g*h... would I use the density for air? What would the height be?

Am I approaching this the right way?
The 'very powerful' means that it produces practically a perfect vacuum in the hose. So you have to find the total force at the hose opening, assuming that the pressure inside the hose is 0,

One atm = 101325 Pa (N/m^2)

Use F = PA where A = area of hose opening. You don't need to know the density of the air.

AM

So I assume the pressure is equal to 1 atm? Or 0? I'm confused... If it was zero then the Force is 0...

oh wait, nevermind... i got it! thanks!

je55ica7 said:
oh wait, nevermind... i got it! thanks!
I get:

[tex]F_{net} = P_{atm}A_{hose} - P_{hose}A_{hose}[/tex]

[tex]F_{net} = 1.01325e5 * 5.94(e-4) N - 0 = 59.6 N[/tex]

or the weight of a 6 kg. brick. This is a force that would accelerate a 6 kg brick at 9.8 m/sec^2. Imagine a tornado 'hose' the size of a house and you can see why a tornado can send cars sailing through the air.

AM

What is the "Vacuum buoyancy problem"?

The vacuum buoyancy problem is a theoretical problem in physics that explores the behavior of objects in a vacuum. It raises the question of whether a vacuum can exert buoyant force on an object and if so, how this force is generated.

What are some real-life applications of the vacuum buoyancy problem?

The vacuum buoyancy problem has implications in many fields, including aerospace engineering, material science, and astrophysics. It can help us understand the behavior of objects in space and the effects of vacuum on different materials.

Is it possible for an object to float in a vacuum?

No, it is not possible for an object to float in a vacuum. The concept of buoyancy requires the presence of a fluid, and in a vacuum, there is no fluid to generate buoyant force. However, objects can appear to float due to other forces such as magnetic or electrostatic forces.

How does the vacuum buoyancy problem relate to Archimedes' principle?

The vacuum buoyancy problem is closely related to Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. In a vacuum, there is no fluid to displace, so the concept of buoyancy does not apply.

What is the role of gravity in the vacuum buoyancy problem?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the vacuum buoyancy problem. It is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth and affects their weight. In a vacuum, the force of gravity is the only force acting on an object, so the object's weight is equal to the force of gravity.