How can I fill a thin gap in a vacuum chamber without creating a virtual leak?

In summary: CWatters,In summary, you are testing a way to reduce the conduction between two volumes by filling a gap between a disk-shaped component and a long pipe with something. The mount already has a sizable hole in its center, so the filler will only need to be rough. The filler will need to be removable after use, and the mount will support high voltage electrodes that will probably go bad over time.
dreens
I have a thin gap between a disk shaped component (7.5"OD, 0.5" thick, let's call it the "mount") and a long pipe serving as a vacuum chamber. I'd like to fill this gap with something to reduce the conduction between the two volumes on either side of the mount. The mount already has a sizeable hole in its center, so we're not talking about achieving an airtight seal here, just some rough baffling. The pipe it sits in is 7.8+/-0.1", where the rough tolerancing comes from weld beads and other surface variations. I pull 5e-9 torr so the material need not be quite UHV but still pretty good. The mount must be easily installed and removed.

If it weren't in vacuum, I'd use weather stripping, but that's obviously out of the question. Even if the plastic/rubber used in weather stripping was as good as SS316 for out-gassing, the foam structure would constitute a massive virtual leak. The other obvious choice would be to build a ring-shaped piece out of metal to block the gap, but the rough tolerancing of the pipe makes this challenging. Epoxy might work, but its not removable.

Any clever ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What are the plans for future use? Are you intending this to be a Permanent or near so installation, temporary installation, or just a test fixture? How removable should the filler be after use?

The mount will support high voltage electrodes that will probably go bad due to flashover in a few years. So it will be probably removed and reinstalled 2/3 times total during its lifetime.

Could you use epoxy with a temporary plastic film or wax to stop it sticking to one part? After epoxy is set, disassemble and remove plastic film. Not air tight but you said...

dreens said:
we're not talking about achieving an airtight seal here, just some rough baffling.

Hmm, not a bad idea CWatters. I could probably achieve this by wrapping one-sided Kapton tape sticky side out around the circumference of the mount.

For the time being, I've realized that as long as the gap is thin compared with its depth (set by the 0.5" thickness of the mount) the conductance through the gap will be low. I think I can increase the OD of the part enough to make the conductance negligible, without actually grinding up against the weld joints. I'll make a 7.7" OD plastic test piece and try seeing if it will slide through the pipe to its final position or not.

1. What is vacuum compatible gap filling?

Vacuum compatible gap filling is the process of filling gaps or voids in a vacuum chamber with compatible materials that will not release any gas or particles into the vacuum environment.

2. Why is vacuum compatible gap filling important?

Vacuum compatible gap filling is important because it helps maintain the integrity of the vacuum environment. Air or gas leaking into the vacuum chamber can affect the accuracy and reliability of experiments or processes being carried out in the chamber.

3. What materials are commonly used for vacuum compatible gap filling?

The most commonly used materials for vacuum compatible gap filling are epoxies, silicone rubbers, and vacuum greases. These materials have low outgassing rates and are able to withstand the high vacuum conditions without releasing any gas or particles.

4. How is vacuum compatible gap filling carried out?

Vacuum compatible gap filling is usually carried out by injecting the chosen material into the gap or void using a syringe or dispensing tool. The material is then allowed to cure or set, creating a solid seal that prevents any gas or particles from entering the vacuum chamber.

5. Is vacuum compatible gap filling reversible?

No, vacuum compatible gap filling is not reversible. Once the material has cured and formed a seal, it cannot be easily removed. It is important to carefully plan and test the gap filling process to ensure the correct amount of material is used and the gap is filled completely.

Back