Vacuum energy of free scalar field

In summary, the conversation discusses finding commutators of creation and annihilation operators with the total four-momentum operator in quantum free scalar field theory. The homework equations and attempt at a solution are given, including the commutators and eigenstates of the four-momentum operator. The next step is to show that there is a lower boundary for energy values and that this value is indeed 0 by computing the Hamiltonian in terms of the creation and annihilation operators and showing that the vacuum state has zero energy.
amgo100

Homework Statement

I have the following task:

In quantum free scalar field theory find commutators of creation and anihilation operators with total four-momentum operator, starting with commutators for fields and canonical momenta. Show that vacuum energy is zero.

Homework Equations

[itex]\hat{p}^\nu=\int d^3\vec{k} k^\nu \hat{a}^\dagger(k)\hat{a}(k)[/itex]
[itex][\hat{a}(p),\hat{a}^\dagger(q)] = \delta^{(3)}(\vec{p} - \vec{q})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to find commutators:
[itex][\hat{a}(q),\hat{p}^\nu] = q^\nu \hat{a}(q)[/itex]
[itex][\hat{a}^\dagger(q),\hat{p}^\nu] = - q^\nu \hat{a}^\dagger(q)[/itex]

Then I used this result to show that [itex]\hat{a}(q)|p>[/itex] and [itex]\hat{a}^\dagger(q)|p>[/itex] are eigenstates of the four-momentum operator [itex]\hat{p}^\nu[/itex] with eigenvalues [itex](p^\nu - q^\nu)[/itex] and [itex](p^\nu + q^\nu)[/itex] respectively.

However i seem to be stuck now as I have no ide how to show that there is a lower boundary for energy values and that this value is indeed 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
amgo100 said:

Homework Statement

I have the following task:

In quantum free scalar field theory find commutators of creation and anihilation operators with total four-momentum operator, starting with commutators for fields and canonical momenta. Show that vacuum energy is zero.

Homework Equations

[itex]\hat{p}^\nu=\int d^3\vec{k} k^\nu \hat{a}^\dagger(k)\hat{a}(k)[/itex]
[itex][\hat{a}(p),\hat{a}^\dagger(q)] = \delta^{(3)}(\vec{p} - \vec{q})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to find commutators:
[itex][\hat{a}(q),\hat{p}^\nu] = q^\nu \hat{a}(q)[/itex]
[itex][\hat{a}^\dagger(q),\hat{p}^\nu] = - q^\nu \hat{a}^\dagger(q)[/itex]

Then I used this result to show that [itex]\hat{a}(q)|p>[/itex] and [itex]\hat{a}^\dagger(q)|p>[/itex] are eigenstates of the four-momentum operator [itex]\hat{p}^\nu[/itex] with eigenvalues [itex](p^\nu - q^\nu)[/itex] and [itex](p^\nu + q^\nu)[/itex] respectively.

However i seem to be stuck now as I have no ide how to show that there is a lower boundary for energy values and that this value is indeed 0.

Hi amgo100, welcome to PF! :smile:

I think the general idea is to:

(1) Compute the Hamiltonian [itex]H[/itex] in terms of the creation & annihilation operators from its expression in terms of the the free-scalar field and momentum density, then

(2) compute the commutation relationships between the Hamiltonian and the creation and annihilation operators, and

(3) use those commutation relations to look at the spectrum of [itex]H[/itex] and show that the vacuum state is the state [itex]|0\rangle[/itex] such that [itex]\hat{a}(\mathbf{p})|0\rangle = 0[/itex] for all [itex]\mathbf{p}[/itex] and show that it has zero energy (expectation value of [itex]H[/itex] is zero)

most QFT text I've seen do at least the first of these step for you (or give the result at any rate)

1. What is vacuum energy of free scalar field?

Vacuum energy of free scalar field is a concept in quantum field theory that describes the lowest possible energy state of a vacuum. It is the energy present even in empty space, and it is associated with the fluctuations of quantum fields.

2. How is vacuum energy of free scalar field different from regular energy?

Vacuum energy of free scalar field is different from regular energy in that it is a form of potential energy rather than kinetic energy. Regular energy is associated with particles, while vacuum energy is associated with the vacuum itself.

3. What is the significance of vacuum energy of free scalar field in cosmology?

In cosmology, vacuum energy of free scalar field is thought to contribute to the expansion of the universe. It is also believed to play a role in the phenomenon of dark energy, which is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

4. Can vacuum energy of free scalar field be observed or measured?

Currently, vacuum energy of free scalar field cannot be directly observed or measured. However, its effects can be observed indirectly through the expansion of the universe and other cosmological phenomena.

5. Is vacuum energy of free scalar field a well-accepted concept in physics?

Vacuum energy of free scalar field is a well-accepted concept in physics, as it is a fundamental aspect of quantum field theory. However, its exact nature and role in various cosmological theories is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.