Which particles can have vacuum expectation values and why?

In summary: The choice of which components can have non-zero VEVs is determined by the symmetry of the system. In general, the VEVs of particles are important in understanding the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions. In summary, particles can have vacuum expectation values depending on their symmetry and the form of their potential, and these VEVs can give insight into the mass and properties of the particles.
gasar8

Homework Statement

Can someone explain to me what particles (fermions, scalar/vector bosons, gravitons, ...) can have their vacuum expectation values and why? Which components of these fields can have VEV-s?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming only scalar boson fields have it (like Higgs field) and give masses to other particles, but I don't know why. Is there symmetry involved? I can imagine which components can have VEVs in simple mexican hat - shaped potentials, where you can choose only one minimum, but I am asking this because I am into minimal left-right symmetry, where I have two triplets and a bi-dublet and I am not sure which components I can neglect.

Physics news on Phys.org
The vacuum expectation value (VEV) of a particle is its average value in the vacuum. It is a measure of the particle's "background" value and is usually calculated by taking the average over all space-time points. Certain particles, such as scalar bosons (e.g. the Higgs field), can have non-zero VEVs. In this case, the particle's VEV is related to its mass. The components of a field that can have non-zero VEVs depend on the form of the potential. For example, in a Mexican-hat type potential, the minimum of the potential corresponds to the VEV of the field. On the other hand, vector bosons and gravitons cannot have non-zero VEVs because they have no mass and therefore cannot have a minimum value.

1. What is a vacuum expectation value?

A vacuum expectation value (VEV) is a mathematical concept used in quantum field theory to describe the average value of a quantum field in a vacuum state. It represents the expectation value of the field operator in the vacuum state, which is the lowest energy state of the system.

2. How is a vacuum expectation value calculated?

The vacuum expectation value is calculated using the quantum field theory formalism, which involves using the creation and annihilation operators to describe the behavior of quantum fields. The VEV is then obtained by taking the average of the field operator in the vacuum state.

3. What is the significance of vacuum expectation values in physics?

Vacuum expectation values play a crucial role in quantum field theory and are used to calculate important physical quantities such as particle masses, interaction strengths, and decay rates. They also help to explain the phenomenon of spontaneous symmetry breaking, which is responsible for the existence of mass in particles.

4. How do vacuum expectation values differ from classical expectations?

In classical physics, the expectation value of a physical quantity is equal to the average value of that quantity. However, in quantum physics, the expectation value of an operator does not necessarily correspond to the average value. In the case of vacuum expectation values, the average value is zero, but the expectation value can be non-zero due to quantum fluctuations.

5. Can vacuum expectation values be measured in experiments?

No, vacuum expectation values cannot be directly measured in experiments. This is because the vacuum state itself cannot be observed or manipulated. However, the effects of vacuum expectation values can be measured indirectly through observable physical quantities that depend on them, such as particle masses and interaction strengths.