Understanding Vacuum Process & Weight Changes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vacuum processes and the weight change of materials during this process. The term "vacuum process" is a generic term and can refer to various processes that operate under vacuum conditions. The conversation also touches on the use of vacuum in epoxy rubber manufacturing and the potential weight change of the mixture after the vacuum process. The suggested links provide further information on the topic. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to conduct a before and after weight test to determine the effectiveness of the vacuum process on the epoxy rubber mixture.
vmedina21
Hi everyone!

I need help about understanding the Vacuum process, where can I find some information about it? and also

The weight of a material (liquid) change after a vacuum process?

I mean if the weight will be the same if I measure the material before and after the vacuum process?

Please advice

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have heard something from someone about this, but you've misunderstood the idea.

"Vacuum Process" is not some specific process. There are several processes that involve operation under vacuum conditions, and all of these are referred to as vacuum processes.

If you have a specific vacuum process in mind, you must describe exactly what this process is, because the generic term "vacuum process" can be used for any of several different processes (eg: contact evaporation, crystal cleavage, STM measurement, cryogenic cooling).

By "vacuum process" if you simply mean subjecting something to high vacuum, then yes, the mass of a liquid under vacuum could be different from outside because of the removal of dissolved gases.

Some links for further reading (preferably, read in the order listed) :

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:Vacuum
http://www.mcallister.com/vacuum2.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum

more details

Thanks for your advice Gokul43201! and for the links they were very useful

I just wanted to know more about the "vacuum process" in general; in order to understand the physical principles behind it.

About the question... specifically I am using a Vacuum Oven with a mechanical vacuum pump, part of my epoxy rubber manufacturing process consist in making vacuum to an specific container of 5 gallons. So i have the doubt if the container weight less after the vacuum process.

I suppose that it is the only way to know if the epoxy rubber was vaccumed?

am i right? or there is another way to know ?

please advice

http://www.lesker.com/CFDOCS/newweb/Technical_Info/BasicVacuum.cfm
http://www.rawbw.com/~rwaits/NCCAVS/effects.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
The purpose of drawing a vacuum over epoxy rubber mixtures is to draw out entrapped air. There should be a small weight change, proportional to the amount of air removed from the mixture. You might try a before and after measurement but you will need a pretty sensitive scale to see the change.

Integral,

Thanks for you answer

I will do a weight test before and after the vacuum process to see what happens.

I hope that there is a significant variation so I will be able to determine if whether or not the epoxy rubber mixture go through a vacuum process.

1. How does vacuum affect weight?

In a vacuum, there is no air resistance or buoyancy, which means that objects will weigh less than they do on Earth. This is because the force of gravity is the only force acting on the object, and without air resistance, the object will fall at a constant rate.

2. Why do objects appear to gain weight in a vacuum?

Objects do not actually gain weight in a vacuum, but they may appear to. This is because there is no air resistance in a vacuum, so objects will fall at their natural rate, which may be faster than we are used to seeing on Earth.

3. Can weight changes be measured accurately in a vacuum?

Yes, weight changes can be measured accurately in a vacuum. In fact, a vacuum is often used in scientific experiments to eliminate the effects of air resistance and other outside forces on weight measurements.

4. How does air pressure affect weight changes in a vacuum?

Air pressure does not directly affect weight changes in a vacuum. However, air pressure can affect the accuracy of weight measurements in a vacuum if it is not properly controlled or accounted for.

5. Are weight changes in a vacuum affected by the type of material being weighed?

Yes, weight changes in a vacuum can be affected by the type of material being weighed. Objects with a higher density will generally have a greater weight change in a vacuum compared to objects with a lower density. This is because the force of gravity acts on the mass of the object, and objects with a higher density have more mass per unit volume.