Vacuum fluctuations of a free field and closed diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the Scharnhorst and Casimir effects, and the role of virtual particles in these phenomena. It is stated that virtual particles only appear in the case of interactions, and that the Casimir effect and Hawking radiation are examples of phenomena that can be proven using one-loop Feynman diagrams. However, the validity of this claim is questioned, as the EM field inside the plates of a Casimir effect is not interacting. The summary also mentions the contribution of virtual particles to the propagation of light in a normal free vacuum, and the calculation of the Casimir pressure based on the free field and assumed interaction with the walls.
hellfire
Science Advisor
I am confused with the Scharnhorst and Casimir effects. The confusion started here. As it seams that there is no response to my questions in post #9, I will try here.

I stated there my understanding about perturbation theory which leads to Feynman diagrams: The amplitudes for the fluctuations in the vacuum state of a free field can be computed as a time ordered product of fields in <0|…|0>. According to Wick's theorem, this can be decomposed as a product of Feynman propagators, leading to Feynman diagrams with no loops. Only if an interaction exists, a term [tex]e^{-i\int dt H_I}[/tex] appears within the product <0|...|0> due to the fact that one does not consider |0> anymore but the vacuum state of an interacting field expressed in terms of |0>. Only the term with the integral leads to loops in the Feynman diagrams after expanding the exponential as a power series (this is basically what I understood from P&S).

I think this summarizes to the statement that virtual particles appear only in case of interactions. However, what I wrote above seams to be incorrect. Otherwise, claims like this:

Wikipedia said:
The Casimir effect and Hawking radiation are examples of phenomena whose existence can be proved using one-loop Feynman diagrams.
Make no sense to me. As far as I know the EM field inside the plates of a Casimir effect is not interacting. Phenomena like the Scharnhorst effect (FTL of photons in a Casimir vacuum) make also no sense as it seams to imply that there is some contribution of virtual particles to the propagation of light in a normal free vacuum (a contribution which is smaller in the Casimir vacuum).

Physics news on Phys.org
Virtual particles arise because of two distinct reasons. You only named one (force carriers). I refer to the https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&action=view&journalid=13790&perpage=10&page=4 entry of my journal.

one loop diagrams express the second posibility : ie vacuum fluctuations: particles that pop out of the vacuum and die shortly after at the same position of their origin.

regards

marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
hellfire said:
I stated there my understanding about perturbation theory which leads to Feynman diagrams: The amplitudes for the fluctuations in the vacuum state of a free field can be computed as a time ordered product of fields in <0|…|0>. According to Wick's theorem, this can be decomposed as a product of Feynman propagators, leading to Feynman diagrams with no loops. Only if an interaction exists, a term [tex]e^{-i\int dt H_I}[/tex] appears within the product <0|...|0> due to the fact that one does not consider |0> anymore but the vacuum state of an interacting field expressed in terms of |0>. Only the term with the integral leads to loops in the Feynman diagrams after expanding the exponential as a power series (this is basically what I understood from P&S).

I would tend to agree completely with what you write. The strict free field is completely solvable and all its Feynman diagrams are trivial (lines connecting ingoing and outgoing particles) because there are no vertices.

As far as I know the EM field inside the plates of a Casimir effect is not interacting. Phenomena like the Scharnhorst effect (FTL of photons in a Casimir vacuum) make also no sense as it seams to imply that there is some contribution of virtual particles to the propagation of light in a normal free vacuum (a contribution which is smaller in the Casimir vacuum).

What I know is that the expression for the Casimir pressure does not contain the EM interaction constant, and that the contribution is the same for all fields (not necessarily the photon field). As such it seems to be a property of the free field (that's btw how it is calculated, no ? You calculate a (cut-off) energy density of the vacuum (the 1/2 hbar omega term of each mode) of the allowed modes in the box, slightly move one of the walls, and calculate it again, and from the dE over dx you calculate the force. This is purely based upon the free field, EXCEPT OF COURSE that you need to assume an interaction with the walls which will give you the allowed modes. Hence, that's why only EM modes (up to a certain rather low energy) are taken into account (gamma rays are not reflected by the metal walls, nor are gluons or Z-bosons).
In all this, I don't see where a 1-loop diagram comes in...
But I'm out of my depth anyways.

1. What are vacuum fluctuations of a free field?

Vacuum fluctuations of a free field refer to the spontaneous creation and destruction of particles in a vacuum. According to quantum field theory, even in empty space, there are constantly virtual particles popping in and out of existence due to the uncertainty principle.

2. How are vacuum fluctuations related to closed diagrams?

In quantum field theory, closed diagrams represent the possible interactions between particles. Vacuum fluctuations contribute to the overall amplitude of these diagrams, as they account for the virtual particles involved in the interaction.

3. What causes vacuum fluctuations?

Vacuum fluctuations are a manifestation of the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. This principle states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously known with absolute precision. As a result, virtual particles can briefly appear and disappear in a vacuum.

4. Do vacuum fluctuations have any physical consequences?

Yes, vacuum fluctuations have been observed to have physical consequences, such as the Casimir effect, which is the attractive force between two uncharged parallel plates due to the presence of virtual particles in the vacuum between them.

5. Are vacuum fluctuations important in everyday life?

While vacuum fluctuations may seem like an obscure topic, they play a crucial role in fundamental physics and are essential to our understanding of the behavior of matter at a subatomic level. However, their effects on everyday life are negligible.