Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vacuum glazed sunglasses

1. Nov 22, 2015 #1
    Is there such a thing? Wouldn't such a thing give ultimate protection for the eyes?
    I first thought i would post this in general engineering, b/c i have another question: How thick must the total eyepiece be if i need 2 semi-transparent sunglass material (of the size of a standard sunglass eyepeice) and a layer of vacuum between them?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Why do you expect a positive effect of a vacuum? Sunglasses are against electromagnetic radiation, if that radiation could not go through vacuum it wouldn't reach Earth anyway.

4. Nov 24, 2015 #3
    The prime reason of the vaccum being there is to prevent heat transfer, so that the eyes can stay warm, in temperatures like -30 celsius with strong winds.

5. Nov 24, 2015 #4

russ_watters

Generally, for very cold weather, people wear goggles. Sunglasses don't seal around the eyes, so insulation wouldn't do anything for them.

6. Nov 24, 2015 #5
    Point. So then goggles with EM radiation and vaccum protection?

7. Nov 24, 2015 #6

russ_watters

Astronaut helmets don't use multi-pane glass, so I don't see how extra insulation solves any real problems.

8. Nov 25, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Well, they have the vacuum for free.

You could reduce thermal conductivity with a layer of vacuum, but compared to other points of heat transfer the glass doesn't sound like a major problem. A vacuum would also mean that the glasses have to be quite thick and heavy.

9. Nov 25, 2015 #8
    Right. Well, i guess that closes this case.

10. Nov 25, 2015 #9
    Thats what i'm wondering about, is this primarily because of low quality/normal glass?

11. Nov 25, 2015 #10

mfb

2016 Award

It is primarily because flat glass is not very good in handling 105 Pa pressure difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook