Vacuum persistence amplitude

In summary, the functional integral approach to quantum field theory uses the path integral W[J] = ⟨0+|0-⟩J to calculate the vacuum-to-vacuum transition amplitude under the influence of an external source J. This can be seen as the partition function, similar to the trace in ordinary non-relativistic quantum mechanics. The "iε prescription" is important to understand this concept. Additionally, the infinite gaussian integral can be interpreted as a trace, allowing for an analogy with ⟨ ⟩ = trρ and ⟨O⟩ = trOρ. This makes the analogy between the partition function and trace exact for free field theories.
PGaccount
In the functional integral approach to quantum field theory, we have

W[J] = ⟨0+|0-J = ∫ D[Φ] eiS + ∫ JΦ

Can someone give me some insight into why this path integral is a vacuum-to-vacuum amplitude. How and also why does this path integral W[J] become a vev?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it discussed in Sredinicki's?

It is important to carefully take into account the "##\mathrm{i} \epsilon## prescription to understand, why this is the "vacuum-to-vacuum transition amplitude under influence of the external source ##J##". See my QFT manuscript,

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf
In Sect. 1.10 it's explained for ordinary non-relativistic QT of a single particle. It translates easily to the QFT case, which is treated in Sect. 3.5 ff.

I guess, because this is the partition function, ##\langle \mathrm{O} \rangle = \int e^{iS} \mathrm{O}## similar to ## \langle \mathrm{O} \rangle = \mathrm{tr \ O \rho}##, we get

$$\langle 0 | 0 \rangle = \int e^{iS}$$

@vanhees71 how does this fit in with what you said about iε?

Also, is there a way to interpret the infinite gaussian integral

$$\int dx \ e^{-x^T A x}$$

as a trace? I mean, is it possible to think of ##x^T A x## as a matrix element of A, i.e. ##A_{xx} = \langle x | A | x \rangle##? Then the integral can be written

$$\int dx \ e^{- A_{xx}} = tr \ e^{-A} = \left( \frac{1}{\det \mathrm{A}} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} $$

Then for free field theories, ##\int e^{iS}## can be written as a trace ##tr \ e^{-A}## where A is the inverse of the propagator. This would make the analogy with ##\langle \ \rangle = tr \rho## and ##\langle \mathrm{O} \rangle = \mathrm{tr O\rho}## exact

Last edited:

1. What is vacuum persistence amplitude?

Vacuum persistence amplitude is a mathematical quantity that describes the probability of a vacuum state remaining unchanged over time.

2. How is vacuum persistence amplitude calculated?

Vacuum persistence amplitude is calculated using the path integral formalism in quantum field theory, where all possible paths of a particle are considered and integrated over to determine the probability of a vacuum state remaining unchanged.

3. What is the significance of vacuum persistence amplitude?

Vacuum persistence amplitude plays a crucial role in understanding the stability and dynamics of quantum systems, and has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics.

4. Can vacuum persistence amplitude be experimentally measured?

Yes, vacuum persistence amplitude can be indirectly measured through experiments that observe the behavior of quantum systems over time. However, due to its mathematical nature, it cannot be directly measured.

5. How does vacuum persistence amplitude relate to vacuum energy?

Vacuum persistence amplitude is related to vacuum energy through the Casimir effect, where the presence of vacuum energy in a region of space can cause measurable effects on the behavior of nearby particles.