Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vacuum polarization

1. Nov 15, 2005 #1
    Can somebody give me a paper where the effect of vacuum polarization is calculated for a hydrogen atom? I mean where there is a real formula to calculate "immediately" the distribution of the positive vacuum charge and negative.

I didn't find something useable about this.

Thanks for everyone who can help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2005 #2
    Although 1) it seems to be a passionating item, 2) I have been myself beginning my learning initiation in physics with this kind of ideas and I have spent a lot of time in investigating this way 3) I have found (At least I believe it, but I got until this day no feed-back to confirm of conversely critic my approach) a strange connection between gravitation and EM fields, I must have the fair play to say that this promising approach didn't yield until now any concrete result in the direction you want to explore; so, I am sorry, you get no help from me. But I wish you good luck
  4. Nov 17, 2005 #3
    Ah, otherwise, if this way of thinking is really the way to explain all particles (with or without charge, color, ...) it must be a technically very difficult one; quite over my head. It implicitly implies to understand vaccuum (vaccuo: energetic states) as a or with the vision of a perfect energetic fluid. Although this representation is not totally in contradiction with some recent results obtained at the Fermi Lab, it seems to be a hard discussed subject and not a place for peaceful investigations. So, as amateur, I cann't help here.
  5. Nov 17, 2005 #4
    I know how we can derive the whole thing but I don't understand this formula. Its a kind of a modified vacuum polarzation tensor applied to coulomb field of a nucleus.

So I want to have another reference where I can compare the result optained in my book and obtained elsewhere.
  6. Nov 21, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are books where the calculation of vacuum polarization effects to Lamb shift is computed. While "the distribution of the positive vacuum charge and negative" can't really be computed.

7. Nov 22, 2005 #6
    Well I have a book at home where this distribution is computed. The whole of a positively charged particle induced vacuum polarisation charge is very tiny even for a Pb-atom.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?