1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vacuum-pump and air-change

1. May 16, 2006 #1
    dear reader,

- a box with a volume of 3/100 l (liter)
    - a vacuum pump of 700 mbar.

how long takes it, to change the air inside the box with the described vacuum pump.

i) 1 bar = 10^5 Pascal = 10^5 J/m^3
    ==> 700 mbar = 0.7 bar = 7*10^4 J/m^3
    ii) 1 m^3 = 1000 l (liter)
    ==> 7*10^4 J/m^3 = 7*10^4*10^-3 J/l = 70 J/l
    iii) problem: how can I calculate the needed time, when I have the energy: 70 J/l and the volume: 3/100 l?

Thank you very much,

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Something appears to be missing. Specifically, the power of the pump. Is there any other given or implied information?
  4. May 17, 2006 #3
    What you lack there is capacity of the pump. If you know it then use Gaede's equation to get the time duration.

PS: Not that it is incorrect, the pressure unit of J/cu.mtr is the funniest I have ever seen. It is totally redundant in this context.
  5. May 17, 2006 #4

the pump sucks with 700 mbar. Is it possible, that this value is the capacity of the pump? The pump sucks 700 mbar/sec and an infinite volume can bee sucked in?

Thank`s for helping me,

6. May 18, 2006 #5
    700 mbar is the pressure(vacuum) that is possible to acheive by the pump. What you should know is the flow capacity in liters/sec or any other suitable units.

If you know the pump capacity, the time of evacuation is calculated, for a leak free system, by

t = (V/Q) x ln(P1/P2)

t is time in seconds
    V is volume of the vessel in liters
    Q is actual flowrate of pump in liters/minute
    P1 and P2 are initial and final absolute pressures (in your case P2 is 313.25 mBar and P1 is atmospheric)

You can use any units consistent to the equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?