1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vacuum sources

1. Jul 18, 2009 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2009 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi GiTS. I really don't think that will work. Even if modified to reduce piston ring leakage, it's only a single stage, so I doubt it would get below ~2 psia assuming it was properly modified. But modifying that is going to be more expensive than just getting a real vacuum pump.

Try ebay or Craigslist. A used one can be picked up for about $50 from what I've seen.

4. Jul 18, 2009 #3
    I don't want to turn the compressor into a vac. I want to hook the output up to a compressed air powered aspirator. But I don't know how much horsepower I need to get the aspirator to pull 10 Torr.

5. Jul 18, 2009 #4

negitron

Science Advisor

I should think the specs of the aspirator would tell you.

6. Jul 18, 2009 #5

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. Jul 18, 2009 #6

negitron

Science Advisor

Incidentally, 10 Torr is well within the capabilities of a single-stage rotary vane pump, of the type used by HVAC repairmen. I have one I use for various nefarious vacuum-related experiments.

8. Jul 19, 2009 #7
    thanks for the tip. I think this might be perfect
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Rotary-Vane-Vacuum-Pump-29%22Hg-3-CFM-1%2f4-HP-AC-HVAC-Tool_W0QQitemZ390068911886QQcmdZViewItem [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Jul 19, 2009 #8

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

29 in-Hg of vacuum works out to 736 Torr below atmospheric (which is nominally 760, depending on where you live / work).

May want to make sure your glassware can handle that without imploding (assuming that you in fact reach the ultimate pressure of the pump).

10. Jul 19, 2009 #9
  11. Jul 19, 2009 #10

negitron

Science Advisor

You need one more like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390066833029 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook