Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vacuum sources

1. Jul 18, 2009 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2009 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi GiTS. I really don't think that will work. Even if modified to reduce piston ring leakage, it's only a single stage, so I doubt it would get below ~2 psia assuming it was properly modified. But modifying that is going to be more expensive than just getting a real vacuum pump.

Try ebay or Craigslist. A used one can be picked up for about $50 from what I've seen.

4. Jul 18, 2009 #3
    I don't want to turn the compressor into a vac. I want to hook the output up to a compressed air powered aspirator. But I don't know how much horsepower I need to get the aspirator to pull 10 Torr.

5. Jul 18, 2009 #4

negitron

Science Advisor

I should think the specs of the aspirator would tell you.

6. Jul 18, 2009 #5

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. Jul 18, 2009 #6

negitron

Science Advisor

Incidentally, 10 Torr is well within the capabilities of a single-stage rotary vane pump, of the type used by HVAC repairmen. I have one I use for various nefarious vacuum-related experiments.

8. Jul 19, 2009 #7
    thanks for the tip. I think this might be perfect
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Rotary-Vane-Vacuum-Pump-29%22Hg-3-CFM-1%2f4-HP-AC-HVAC-Tool_W0QQitemZ390068911886QQcmdZViewItem [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Jul 19, 2009 #8

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

29 in-Hg of vacuum works out to 736 Torr below atmospheric (which is nominally 760, depending on where you live / work).

May want to make sure your glassware can handle that without imploding (assuming that you in fact reach the ultimate pressure of the pump).

10. Jul 19, 2009 #9
  11. Jul 19, 2009 #10

negitron

Science Advisor

You need one more like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390066833029 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook