• Thread starter GiTS
  • Start date
Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi GiTS. I really don't think that will work. Even if modified to reduce piston ring leakage, it's only a single stage, so I doubt it would get below ~2 psia assuming it was properly modified. But modifying that is going to be more expensive than just getting a real vacuum pump.

Try ebay or Craigslist. A used one can be picked up for about $50 from what I've seen.

I don't want to turn the compressor into a vac. I want to hook the output up to a compressed air powered aspirator. But I don't know how much horsepower I need to get the aspirator to pull 10 Torr.

negitron
Science Advisor
I should think the specs of the aspirator would tell you.

negitron
Science Advisor
Incidentally, 10 Torr is well within the capabilities of a single-stage rotary vane pump, of the type used by HVAC repairmen. I have one I use for various nefarious vacuum-related experiments.

thanks for the tip. I think this might be perfect
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rotary-Vane-Vacuum-Pump-29%22Hg-3-CFM-1%2f4-HP-AC-HVAC-Tool_W0QQitemZ390068911886QQcmdZViewItem [Broken]

MATLABdude
Science Advisor
29 in-Hg of vacuum works out to 736 Torr below atmospheric (which is nominally 760, depending on where you live / work).

May want to make sure your glassware can handle that without imploding (assuming that you in fact reach the ultimate pressure of the pump).

negitron
Science Advisor
You need one more like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390066833029 [Broken]