1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vacuum Sphere

1. Jun 19, 2008 #1

SPS

Hi to you all,

May I just say I am not a physicist or the like so my questions may seem a bit green to you all, I wish to make something and need a little bit of info please.

With regards to a vacuum sphere, if I was to spin an item within it would it spin freely or would there be forces against it? Second silly question, does an item within the sphere become any lighter/heavier or no difference?

I hope the questions are worthy of a reply

Kind Regards

Steve

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2008 #2
    The vacuum will reduce aerodynamic drag, but that's all (assuming the sphere remains on Earth). You still have to deal with friction from the bearings supporting your spinning object.
    A vacuum has no effect on gravity, so the relative weight of your object will not change.

4. Jun 19, 2008 #3

SPS

Thanks Pantaz for your reply, I am hoping i may be able to use opposing magnets to reduce the weight of my spinning object

Regards

Steve

5. Jun 19, 2008 #4
    Magnetic bearings will reduce (but not eliminate) friction. Weight will be unchanged.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook