Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vacuum system design

1. Aug 29, 2006 #1
    What is the efect of the permanent magnetic field in a Penning gauge on the outside environment (meaning my vacuum chamber)? Penning gauges seem to show several advantages compared to Bayard-Alpert ones (strongness, contamination...) but this magnetic field may spoil my experiment.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, what is your experiment?

4. Aug 29, 2006 #3
    It is an experiement with silicon chips and optical fibers, and at least quantum dots. Is the "magnetic shield" provided by some suppliers efficient?

5. Aug 29, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That conveys absolutely nothing about the actual experiment, and it is impossible to determine if tiny stray fields will hurt your experiment if we don't know what the experiment is trying to measure. And what do you mean by "at least quantum dots"?

6. Aug 30, 2006 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I second Gokul's motion, the objective and methodology is unclear. The permanent magnetic field part confused me. I don't perceive that as being relevant.

7. Aug 30, 2006 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

THe OP is concerned about the magnetic fields from his/her Penning Gauges (this is an ionization type vacuum gauge that uses a magnetic field to increases the path length of the ions), and I think, wants to know if his/her experiment in the vacuum chamber will be affected by the stray field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?