Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vacuum Temperature Transfer

1. Dec 14, 2005 #1
    If something, an object at temperature T, is inside of a vacuum container, can you get that object to change its temperature by placing the container in say a hotter or colder environment. If so, how does the heat transfer?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you place an object inside of a vacuum chamber it will stabilize at the same temperature as the walls of the vacuum chamber. Change the wall temperature and the object will follow. This is an example of radiation heat transfer. There are 3 main heat transfer mechanisms, radiation (this is how we receive energy from the sun); convection, how rooms are heated; and conduction, how heat is transfered from a pan to boil water.
  4. Dec 15, 2005 #3
    Conduction can also happen from the surfaces of the conr=tainer to the object-integral.
  5. Dec 15, 2005 #4

Gold Member

That's true if the object is in fact touching the inner chamber wall, and there is contact between the inner and outer chambers. A Thermos bottle, you'll note, is designed to minimize the contact area between the two shells. In the case of something suspended by an thread in a vacuum chamber, there'd be virtually no conduction.
  6. Dec 24, 2005 #5
    it depends danger, if im not mistaken heat transfers with that log formula, what i mean to say is that if the heat difference between the hanging object and the wall is very different, then the transfer would be quick
  7. Dec 24, 2005 #6
    That's why cryogenic dewars have polished, silvered walls: they reflect IR and so reduce radiative heat transfer.

edit: I don't think it's "logarithmic", for radiative heat transfer I believe it goes as to [tex]T^4[/tex].
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?