Vagina Dentata

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagina_dentata

I found this on the net a few days back, what do you guys think of it?
    Many people say that it's a fictional condition but the article states that it's real.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Integral

Integral 7,341
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So the movie Teeth is a documentary?

4. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,519
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.cas.buffalo.edu/classes/eng/willbern/BestSellers/Jaws/vagdent.htm

5. mgb_phys

mgb_phys 8,952
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a real condition that causes cells to grow into the wrong kind of cell.
    Normally you wouldn't notice if you had a small clump of muscle cells in your fat (or the other way around), you can get into trouble if chemical producing cells turn on in the wrong place.

But the easiest ones to identify are hair and teeth - so having a lump on your arm removed and finding a tooth bud (generally not a full tooth) is noteworthy.
    Since these cells can occur anywhere then with N women * LOTS years - the odds are it has happened at least once. But since these teeth are rooted in a jaw they can't do much!

6. Well I wouldn't go so far, but based on a true story sounds better :P

7. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,519
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. YIKES! A failed twin might be another situation that could very rarely lead to some very strange results.

8. It says the same in the article but yea xD
    Scary stuff, and those teeth can grow at any place where skin makes place for organ, so sexual organs, ears, nose.

9. Andy Resnick

Andy Resnick 5,744
    Science Advisor

I don't even know why I am commenting on this thread.

But- Ahem. Where on (the wiki page) "the article states that it's real.", exactly? Wikipeda can be fairly retarded, but this goes beyond the pale.

Isn't there a minimum expectation for proper referencing around here?

10. So because wikipedia has information on various stories/myths it's 'retarded'???

As well according to you the OPs question isn't valid? Do you assume him retarded as well for wanting to know about this?

11. I had a dream like this once, only it was the the mouth of "Predator"

12. would you say it was a good dream or bad dream? :tongue:

13. Frightening at first, then mildly erotic.

14. love it.

15. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Certainly possible. Highly unlikely. Man's worst fear. I find it hilarious.

16. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

oh boy I've thought up some great jokes for this, luckily only me myself and I will hear them lol :D

17. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,519
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think anyone here was making any claims. It was a question. And it is apparently possible that this has actually occurred.

18. The only way I can think of this happening is through a dermoid cyst. They can develop teeth, bones, fat, hair, nails, etc.. The odds of it occuring IN the vagina AND grows teeth specifically, so it looks like there's a tooth or teeth in there are pretty low I'd say. Normally these cysts occur around the eyes, such as on the eyelid.

Back in the old days they didn't have proper surgery techniques I'd assume to entirely remove such a cyst, if they even would recognize it. These types of cysts can reoccur if they aren't fully removed... so it makes it possible that this one lady could have had multiple cysts :tongue:.

It's not surprising that the story is all over the place, it wouldn't have had to have happened in the specific societies with the stories. The story would just need to happen once and I'm 100% certain it would spread like a wildfire...
    I mean like really? Teeth in the vagina... That's note worthy.

19. Actually they forms in the embryonic skin cells, this is wherever the skin folds inwards to become another organ, so anywhere from eyes, ears, reproductive organs, probably nose too.

And if you google the term you can find a picture of the real deal.
    Altho I doubt that the mods would like me posting it :P

20. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,519
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have a medical journal to reference then you can post a link. If not, then you don't have a source that allows for such claims. Without a credible and appropriate journal to reference, it is not appropriate to make any definitive claims.

You started out by asking a question, and now you're making claims.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  21. What he said is correct, but I don't see how it contradicts anything that I've said

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook