Finding the Second Derivative of a Partial Derivative with Multiple Variables

In summary, To find the derivative of dy/dx = φ(x, y), you can use the chain rule by breaking up the equation into dy/dx = φ(x) + φ(y) and then deriving the parts. This will result in the second derivative of ∂φ/∂x + ∂φ/∂y (dy/dx) = ∂φ/∂x + φ(∂φ/∂x). However, if φ(x, y) is not arbitrary, it cannot be broken up and the left side of the second derivative is obtained through the chain rule.
lifhgrl823
Could someone please explain to me how to find the derivative of this:

dy/dx = φ(x, y)

Should I break up the equation to make it dy/dx = φ(x) + φ(y) and then derive the parts?

I would then get d²y/dx² = ∂φ/∂x + ∂φ/∂y
do I have to also multiply both terms by their respective derivatives of the inside variable?

Physics news on Phys.org
lifhgrl823 said:
dy/dx = φ(x, y)

Should I break up the equation to make it dy/dx = φ(x) + φ(y) and then derive the parts?
If φ(x, y) is arbitrary why do you think you can break it up to φ(x) + φ(y)? If φ(x, y) = xy, how can this be broken up into φ(x) + φ(y)?

That's a good point. My professor wrote that the second derivative should be:

∂φ/∂x + ∂φ/∂y (dy/dx) = ∂φ/∂x + φ(∂φ/∂x)

I've been trying to play around with the equation and see how I could get that answer.
All of the partial derivatives I've done previously had equations that were equal to f(x,y) or such.

lifhgrl823 said:
That's a good point. My professor wrote that the second derivative should be:

∂φ/∂x + ∂φ/∂y (dy/dx) = ∂φ/∂x + φ(∂φ/∂x)

I've been trying to play around with the equation and see how I could get that answer.
All of the partial derivatives I've done previously had equations that were equal to f(x,y) or such.
Can you see how the Professor gets the left side? It's the chain rule.

Yes, to take the second derivative of y, you should look at it as phi(x,y(x))

so partial in x with respect to first entry, plus that with respect to second entry, which requires the chain rule.

1. What is a vague partial derivative?

A vague partial derivative refers to a mathematical concept in multivariable calculus where the derivative of a function is taken with respect to one variable while keeping all other variables constant. The term "vague" implies that the partial derivative is not clearly defined or specific, and can vary depending on the situation.

2. How is a vague partial derivative different from a regular partial derivative?

A regular partial derivative is the derivative of a function with respect to one variable, where all other variables are treated as constants. In contrast, a vague partial derivative allows some flexibility in how the other variables are treated, leading to a more general or "vague" result.

3. When is a vague partial derivative used in real-world applications?

Vague partial derivatives are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems with multiple variables. They can also be used to analyze complex functions in economics and finance.

4. What are some common notations used for a vague partial derivative?

The most common notations for a vague partial derivative include ∂f/∂x, Df(x), and ∂f/∂x. These notations may vary depending on the context and the specific field of study.

5. How can I calculate a vague partial derivative?

To calculate a vague partial derivative, you will need to use the appropriate mathematical formula based on the notation being used. It may also involve taking limits and using other techniques from calculus. It is important to clearly define the variables and their relationships in order to accurately calculate a vague partial derivative.