Near Drowning as a Child: Vague Recollections

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Ivan recalls nearly drowning when he was four, but has no fear of water despite this. He was very active in water sports between the ages of eight and twenty-six, but has recently run out of storage space for memories.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Although I have thought of this from time to time, tonight I was reminded of the details of an event that I had nearly forgotten. When I was about four years old I nearly drowned. Without going into the details of how, I remembered that I had actually sank to the bottom of the pool before my dad saw me and pulled me out. Basically I remembered the experience of drowning for the first time since it happened.

It seems strange that I would remember the details surrounding the event but had all but blocked the experience of drowning itself. I remembered it happening - I had flashes of pushing off the edge of the pool, then seeing my dad coming at me underwater, and then a bit about being pulled out and lying on the concrete, but not much at all about the core event. And the really odd part is that I have never had any fear of water. In fact between the ages of eight and twenty-six I was very active in a number of water sports. My mother used to say that I was a fish.

It is strange how memories can seemingly pop out of nowhere. It is also strange how some events affect us profoundly while others that seem highly significant may have no apparent impact at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
It is strange how memories can seemingly pop out of nowhere. It is also strange how some events affect us profoundly while others that seem highly significant may have no apparent impact at all.

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

For me there seems to be two types of memory. In one, I just remember who-what-where...it's a "just the facts, ma'am" kind of memory. The other is mostly just emotion, very strong emotion but I can't remember the details of the event.

But for a few events I remember both the facts and the emotion. Those are very profound memories.

But, like you, I find it's hard to find any correlation between the significance of an event and how it will be remembered.

haha quite to the contrary, I remember almost drowning as a kid and I had a sort of aversion to water ever since, although I'm quite an average swimmer.

I had a similar experience, it's really strange. As they say, your whole life literally does flash between your eyes. Is there a quirky, long scientific name for that experience? :D

I remember everything though, right down to swigging a couple of litres of murky pond water. Bleurgh!

I was just 2 when my brother{age 4} asked me if I wanted to go pick berries. I recall being lost in the woods, just wandering around looking for berries. I even recall the Jack and Jill metal pail I carried.
I was around 40 when I recalled it, and talked to my Mom about it. She confirmed that it did happen, I was lost for over 5 hours. Park rangers found over a mile away from our camp.

At your age Ivan I wonder if you have finally ran out of storage space in your head and your brain is popping up old memories to see if you still need them to make room for new stuff.

1. What is near drowning as a child?

Near drowning as a child refers to an incident where a child has been submerged in water for a prolonged period of time, but is rescued before it results in death. This can lead to physical and psychological effects that may last for years.

2. What are the potential consequences of near drowning as a child?

The consequences of near drowning as a child can vary, but may include physical effects such as brain damage, respiratory issues, and long-term neurological problems. It can also lead to psychological effects such as fear of water and post-traumatic stress disorder.

3. How common is near drowning as a child?

Near drowning as a child is not as common as other types of accidents, but it is still a significant concern. According to the World Health Organization, drowning is the third leading cause of unintentional injury death worldwide, and children under the age of 15 are at the highest risk.

4. What are some signs that a child may have experienced near drowning?

Some signs that a child may have experienced near drowning include difficulty breathing, coughing or vomiting water, changes in skin color, and altered mental state. It is important to seek immediate medical attention if you suspect a child has experienced near drowning.

5. Can near drowning as a child have long-term effects?

Yes, near drowning as a child can have long-term effects on both physical and psychological well-being. It is important for parents and caregivers to seek proper medical care and support for the child to address any potential long-term effects and provide appropriate rehabilitation and therapy.