Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Valentines from Planet Earth

1. Feb 12, 2010 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Carl Sagan and his wife, Ann Druyan, fell in love and decided to marry while creating the "Golden Record" contained on the Voyager satellites launched in 1977. The "Golden Record" contains images, sounds, greetings, and music from the Planet Earth (in fact, Sagan and Druyan decided to get married the day they finally found a song to represent China, "Flowing Streams"). Included are instructions on how to recreate the images from the signals recorded on the records (the records are the standard, grooved, analog recordings).

In addition to diagrams of human anatomy, human DNA, etc, Sagan, Druyan, and the others compiling the record included something rather ingenious. Druyan had her brain waves recorded and included on the record to provide a sample of human thought. The recording was done just a couple days after Sagan and Druyan proposed to each other, so she couldn't resist making sure that her thoughts of love for Carl were included in the brain waves recorded.

Now, those thoughts of love are 16.9 billion miles and 13.8 billion miles away, respectively (the records were put on two different Voyager satellites).

Which should answer the question about whether scientists/techies are boring. They're not. In fact, they're incredibly clever and romantic.

Carl Sagan And Ann Druyan's Ultimate Mix Tape

Samples of songs included on the Golden Record (including Johnny B Goode)

JPL's website for the Golden Record (click on the Flash Feature - it's a pretty cool little sample of what's on the record)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This was during the hump back whale song craze. We sent whale songs.

4. Feb 12, 2010 #3
    We can look forward to a Love V'ger.

5. Feb 12, 2010 #4

IMP

I just hope that the aliens who find the album don't make any copies of it. First contact will be RIAA vs. Aliens...

6. Feb 12, 2010 #5
    This appears to be knowing distribution of copyrighted material. The RIAA will be notified.

We didn't send any rock music? No AC/DC or KISS? Oh but classical music was sent. And whale sounds? Oh man!

7. Feb 12, 2010 #6
    I hope the aliens have a record player.
    But of course, they'll probably be smart enough to somehow transfer it to their iPods.

8. Feb 12, 2010 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Funny that you mentioned that. They put out a book (now out of print) detailing the project, including all of the material put on the records. They also put out a CD including the music (also now out of print). The CD came out 14 years later because they had to clear all the copyright issues with the music first (but on the bright side, they didn't even have CD's when recordings were first made).

And anyone can make a record player. All you need is a turntable, a needle, and a cone of paper.

9. Feb 12, 2010 #8

Evo

Do you think if it were made today that we would have included whale songs? I know it was really cool back then and people made music records to go with the sounds. Will ET think we have a society that worships whales?

I guess an interesting question would be, if we were doing it today, what should we record that we think represents us? I'm a bit disappointed about some of the stuff that was chosen.

10. Feb 12, 2010 #9
    The US will be represented by Bruce Springsteen.

The Germans will of course be represented by David Hasselhoff.

The Canadians will simply be represented by recordings of Bob and Doug McKenzie.

The Russians will have a recording by Vladdy.

Anything else?

11. Feb 12, 2010 #10

Evo

:rofl:

12. Feb 13, 2010 #11

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

That is fascinating!

Johnny B Goode?

13. Feb 13, 2010 #12
    The book is Murmurs of Earth, and I highly recommend it.

Don't worry, we included a 'read me':
    gold_record-browse.jpg

This is quoted from the book:

14. Feb 13, 2010 #13

Borek

I wonder - in the times of identity theft, don't we give away too much information?

15. Feb 13, 2010 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

16. Feb 13, 2010 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Stranger yet was including the whale greetings at the tail end of the greetings from various members of the UN. They'll think the whale nation is a member of the UN (I think it's a whale greeting - since I don't understand whale, they might be urging the aliens to kill the humans).

We only had a 147 nations in the UN back in 1978 (we have 192 now).

If you go through the pictures (available at http://www.goldenrecord.org/), you'll notice that in the human biology section, the pictures of humans are shown in silhouette form. The original was a color photograph of naked humans. NASA didn't like the idea of including pictures of naked humans on the record.

17. Feb 13, 2010 #16

Evo

I think this should go into our next one.

Attached Files:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook