1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Valid connections

1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q100/megajette2/2.png

I'm not really sure about this. If someone could just explain the concept so i can figure it out, it would be much appreciated. Neither one of them looks like a valid connection, but i have no experience with this.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Test: put a resistor across the terminals and determine if you can compute a current and voltage (obviously voltage will = current x R).

Put two differing current sources in series and try to do the same. Can you come up with a current?

Try to do the same with two differing voltage sources in parallel. What then?

4. Jan 22, 2012 #3
    I don't have any parts to test on. I was just learning about in series and parallel resistors, but mostly about finding equivalent resistors.

5. Jan 22, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't mean use actual components. Draw the schematic with the resistor shunting the network terminals and try to write KCL or KVL equations that aren't self-contradictory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook