What Are the Constraints of a Valid Covariance Matrix?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a valid covariance matrix and its properties, including being positive semidefinite and the constraints it imposes on the values it can take on. The conversation also touches on the difference between a covariance matrix for random variables and one computed from samples, as well as possible methods for determining the range of values for a given covariance matrix.
weetabixharry
I'm trying to understand what makes a valid covariance matrix valid. Wikipedia tells me all covariance matrices are positive semidefinite (and, in fact, they're positive definite unless one signal is an exact linear combination of others). I don't have a very good idea of what this means in practice.

For example, let's assume I have a real-valued covariance matrix of the form:

[tex]\mathbf{R}=\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0.7 & x \\
0.7 & 1 & -0.5 \\
x & -0.5 & 1
\end{array}
\right][/tex]
where [itex]x[/itex] is some real number. What range of values can [itex]x[/itex] take?

I can sort of see that [itex]x[/itex] is constrained by the other numbers. Like it can't have magnitude more than 1, because the diagonals are all 1. However, it is also constrained by the off-diagonals.

Of course, for my simple example, I can solve the eigenvalue problem for eigenvalues of zero to give me the range of values (roughly -0.968465844 to 0.268465844)... but this hasn't really given me any insight in a general sense.

I feel like there might be a neat geometrical interpretation that would make this obvious.

Can anyone offer any insight?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if this a complete answer. However assume you have three random variables X, Y, Z each with variance 1, cov(X,Y) = 0.7, cov(X,Z) = x, and cov(Y,Z) = -0.5. For simplicity assume all means = 0.
Consider E((X±Y±Z)2)≥0 for all possible sign combinations. This will give you four bounds on x. This may be the best, although I am not sure.

weetabixharry said:
I'm trying to understand what makes a valid covariance matrix valid.

The terminology "covariance matrix" is ambiguous. There is a covariance matrix for random variables and there is a covariance matrix computed from samples of random variables. I don't think it works to claim that the sample covariance matrix is just the covariance matrix of a population consisting of the sample because the usual way to compute the sample covariance involves using denominators of n-1 instead of n.

mathman said:
Consider E((X±Y±Z)2)≥0 for all possible sign combinations. This will give you four bounds on x.
I'll have to give this some thought. It's not obvious to me how this works.

Stephen Tashi said:
There is a covariance matrix for random variables and there is a covariance matrix computed from samples of random variables.
What's the difference between these two? Do either/both have to be Hermitian positive semidefinite? That's the sort I'm interested in.

weetabixharry said:
I'll have to give this some thought. It's not obvious to me how this works.
1.5+cov(X,Y)+cov(X,Z)+cov(Y,Z)≥0
1.5-cov(X,Y)+cov(X,Z)-cov(Y,Z)≥0
1.5+cov(X,Y)-cov(X,Z)-cov(Y,Z)≥0
1.5-cov(X,Y)-cov(X,Z)+cov(Y,Z)≥0

What is a valid covariance matrix?

A valid covariance matrix is a square matrix that represents the variances and covariances between variables in a dataset. It is typically denoted by the symbol Σ (sigma) and is used to describe the relationships between different variables in a statistical analysis.

What are the requirements for a covariance matrix to be considered valid?

In order for a covariance matrix to be considered valid, it must meet the following requirements:

• The matrix must be square, with the same number of rows and columns.
  • The diagonal elements must be the variances of each variable, and must be positive.
  • The off-diagonal elements must be the covariances between each pair of variables, and must be symmetric (i.e. the covariance between variable A and B must be equal to the covariance between variable B and A).

Why is it important to have a valid covariance matrix?

A valid covariance matrix is important because it is used in many statistical analyses, such as multivariate regression and factor analysis. It provides crucial information about the relationships between variables and is necessary for accurate and reliable results.

What are some common issues that can lead to an invalid covariance matrix?

There are several common issues that can lead to an invalid covariance matrix, including:

• Negative variances or covariances, which can occur if the data is not properly scaled or if there are errors in data collection.
  • Missing data, which can result in an incomplete matrix that does not meet the requirements for a valid covariance matrix.
  • Highly correlated variables, which can lead to singularities (i.e. a matrix with a determinant of 0) and make the covariance matrix invalid.

How can you check if a covariance matrix is valid?

One way to check if a covariance matrix is valid is by calculating its determinant. If the determinant is positive and non-zero, the matrix is valid. Additionally, you can inspect the diagonal elements for positive values and check for symmetry in the off-diagonal elements. If any of these criteria are not met, the covariance matrix is not valid.