Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Valid observer point of view

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    Can I consider each particle as there own observer with there own personal experience of time say each quark or each electron ? Because I read that every observer is as valid as any. I know that general relativity is a theory applied to the very big and here I am asking question for the very small sorry if I on the verge of breaking down the theory I promise I won't do that again! I thought it was a theory of gravity and I thought if there is a size or type of object I can't consider as an observer than it is a contradiction with Einstein theory...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, each object in the universe can be taken as a Frame of Reference, but I don't get why you think this could be any kind of problem.

And, just on general principles, if you come across something that you think is contradictory to GR, assume you have misunderstood.

4. Mar 3, 2015 #3
    I think maybe the answer is that the word "observer" as a term has kind of been replaced in relativity with "frame of reference" or "coordinate system", in order to remove the possible confusion that there needs to be someone doing the observing... kind of like on the quantum side where "observation" has been kind of replaced by "measurement" and that looks like that is being further replaced by "decoherence", in order to also remove any confusion about there having to be someone observing.

I wonder if it is correct to say relativity is good all the way down except at zero, and QM is good all the way up to infinity?

5. Mar 3, 2015 #4
    No I don't think it is problem I am just building up my knowledge foundation making sure I am not wrong with the fundamental.
    And yes frame of reference is a better word than observer to describe the experience.

6. Mar 3, 2015 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just FYI, on terminology, the term "observer" is more correctly stated as "measurement" and is not at all the same as a Frame of Reference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook