1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Validity of Fresnel Approximation

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A friend of mine asked me on the Fresnel approximations earlier, and I couldn't really remember many of the details other than it was an approximation for spherical waves based on the Taylor series. So basically I had to look it up in a text book.
    One of the exercises (2.2-1) in the book fundamentals of photonics [b. saleh] was a question on the validity of the Fresnel approximation:
    Determine the radius of a circle within which a spherical wave of wavelength λ = 633nm, originating a a distance 1m away, may be approximated by a paraboloidal wave. Determine the maximum angle θ and the Fresnel number N_f.

2. Relevant equations

a^4 << 4z^3λ

(N_f*θ^2) / 4 << 1

N_F = a^2 / λ

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not really sure where to start as I don't really understand.
    My initial thought was to calculate the Fresnel number using N_F = a^2 / λ. If I take the a (circle radius) as 1m. It's simple.
    N_F = 1/633nm
    I can then use N_F to find the maximum angle when the radius is 1m.
    Now that seems way too simple.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted