1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Value of a sum

1. Nov 15, 2005 #1
    Given the sum
    [tex]{_\lim {i} \rightarrow 0} \sum_{k=0}^{\frac{x}{i} - 1} i\sqrt{1 + i^{2n-2}((k+1)^{n} - k^{n})^{2}}[/tex]
    I want to know how to derive to the value of this sum exactly. This is actually the value of the lenghts of a curve from a point to the origin of the form f(x) = x^n... I thought the binominal theorem can be used, but i can't develop on this further more. Anyone is capable of showing to what value this converges?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2005 #2
    I'll give this a go. The added bonus is if I'm wrong one of the more math-y people in here is bound to catch my mistake :)
    What I first did is rewrote your equation like this:
    [tex]{_\lim {i} \rightarrow 0} \sum_{k=0}^{\frac{x}{i} - 1} i\sqrt{1 + (i^{n-1}((k+1)^{n} - k^{n}))^{2}}[/tex]
    Now look at [tex]i^{n-1}((k+1)^{n} - k^{n})[/tex]. What value does this converge to as i-> 0 and if [tex]k = \frac{x}{i}-1[/tex]? Do a binomial expansion and you will get an open form of something like [tex]i^{n-1}(((\frac{x}{i})^{n} - ((\frac{x}{i})^{n} - n(\frac{x}{i})^{n-1} - o(n-2))))[/tex] where o(n-2) is something that isn't particularly relevant to the answer that is of order n-2. I think you will find that for this particular value of k (and in fact all k) if you work out say [tex]k = \frac{x}{i}-2[/tex] and so on that you will find the limit always converges to the same value: [tex]nx^{n-1}[/tex], so the sum simplifies somewhat to [tex]{_\lim {i} \rightarrow 0} \sum_{k=0}^{\frac{x}{i} - 1} i\sqrt{1 + (nx^{n-1})^{2}}[/tex]

Edit: It certainly doesn't converge. I eliminated the iterated variable k entirely, I don't really know what to make of that sum to be honest. I'll re-edit this tomorrow with maybe something.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2005
  4. Nov 23, 2005 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

Shouldn't [tex]\frac{x}{i} - 1[/tex] be an integer?

5. Nov 23, 2005 #4
    it can be an integer

certainly not (unless it is not mentioned that x is complex).it can be proved .by solving we get x-1\i.further xi + 1\-1. if x is not complex the expression will never be integer . x has to be an complex which is raised to an odd no: (which is quiet easy to understand )it also depends on the coefficient of x(x=ai ) then if a is any real number then then it depends on what a is .i think i am right .if wrong please send me a reply and also tell how u tpye equations in forums

6. Nov 25, 2005 #5

benorin

Homework Helper

We use latex code to type equations in the forums: to see the latex code that generated a particular math expression, double click on it. Oh, and here is a link to the ever handy LaTeX code reference.

And as to my question, it was rhetorical.

7. Nov 26, 2005 #6
    i am sorry. i did not see what u wrote before but ur last line caught my attention. thanks for guidelines to type equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?