Value of k in definite Integration

In summary, the value of k for which \displaystyle I_{k} is smallest is 0, as determined by finding the indefinite integral of p(x) and using the given formula for I_k to evaluate the definite integral from 0 to infinity.
juantheron
Let \(\displaystyle p(x)=2x^6+4x^5+3x^4+5x^3+3x^2+4x+2.\) Let \(\displaystyle \displaystyle I_{k}=\int^{\infty}_{0}\frac{x^k}{p(x)}dx\)

where \(\displaystyle 0<k<5.\) Then value of \(\displaystyle k\) for which \(\displaystyle \displaystyle I_{k}\) is smallest.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

I would first clarify what the forum poster means by "smallest" - do they mean the smallest numerical value, or the smallest area under the curve? Assuming they mean the smallest numerical value, I would approach the problem by first finding the indefinite integral of p(x), which is:

\displaystyle \int p(x)dx = \frac{1}{7}x^7 + \frac{2}{3}x^6 + \frac{3}{2}x^5 + \frac{5}{4}x^4 + x^3 + 2x^2 + 2x + C

Then, I would use the given formula for I_k to find the definite integral from 0 to infinity:

\displaystyle I_k = \left[\frac{1}{7}x^{k+7} + \frac{2}{3}x^{k+6} + \frac{3}{2}x^{k+5} + \frac{5}{4}x^{k+4} + x^{k+3} + 2x^{k+2} + 2x^{k+1}\right]_{0}^{\infty}

Since the lower limit is 0, all terms with an exponent greater than or equal to 1 will evaluate to 0. This leaves us with:

\displaystyle I_k = \left[\frac{1}{7}x^{k+7} + \frac{2}{3}x^{k+6} + \frac{3}{2}x^{k+5} + \frac{5}{4}x^{k+4}\right]_{0}^{\infty}

Since k is a positive value, as x approaches infinity, the terms with the highest exponents will dominate and give us an infinite value. Therefore, in order for I_k to be the smallest numerical value, we want the highest exponent to be as small as possible. This would occur when k+4 = 0, or when k = -4. However, the given condition is that 0<k<5, so the smallest value for k would be 0.

In conclusion, the value of k for which I_k is smallest is 0.

What is the value of k in definite integration?

The value of k in definite integration is a constant that is used to represent the upper limit of integration. It is typically denoted by the letter 'k' and is used in the notation of the definite integral as follows: ∫ak f(x)dx. The value of k is usually a numerical value that is specified in the problem or can be determined through other mathematical operations.

How is the value of k determined in definite integration?

The value of k in definite integration can be determined through various methods, depending on the specific problem. In some cases, it may be given as a specific numerical value, while in others it may need to be calculated using other mathematical operations. It is important to carefully read and understand the given problem to determine how to find the value of k.

What is the significance of the value of k in definite integration?

The value of k in definite integration is significant because it represents the upper limit of integration and helps to define the range of the integral. It is also used to calculate the area under a curve or the volume of a solid in certain problems. The value of k can greatly affect the result of the definite integral, so it is important to accurately determine its value.

Can the value of k be negative in definite integration?

Yes, the value of k in definite integration can be negative. This is because the upper limit of integration can be any real number, positive or negative. However, it is important to keep in mind that the value of k should always be greater than the lower limit of integration to ensure the integral is valid.

How does the value of k affect the definite integral?

The value of k has a direct effect on the result of the definite integral. As the value of k increases, the area under the curve or the volume of the solid also increases. Conversely, as the value of k decreases, the area or volume decreases. It is important to carefully consider the value of k when solving definite integrals to ensure an accurate result.