How is the value of Pi calculated with extreme accuracy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of pi to a high degree of accuracy and the methods used to do so. It is mentioned that there is no instrument that can measure with such precision, but some individuals still calculate pi to an enormous number of digits as a way to showcase their computing speed. The conversation also touches on the reference value of pi and the proof behind the series equation used to calculate it. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity and fascination surrounding the number pi.
jobyts
When we say we know the value of Pi upto - say 1 billion position accuracy -, how exactly they calculate it? Is it as simple as Circumference / diameter and the whole accuracy of the value of Pi is completely dependent on the accuracy to measure circumference and diameter?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have no idea why anyone would calculate pi to that many places (or to a trillion decimal places, as has been done) since there is no instrument that could make measurements that precise.

Pi calculated to 39 decimal places is enough precision to determine the circumference of the observable universe to a precision equal to the radius of a hydrogen atom - provided of course that you could measure the diameter of the observable universe with a margin of error less than the radius of a hydrogen atom.

Found from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi

[tex]\pi = 4 \sum^\infty_{k=0}\frac{(-1)^k}{2k+1}[/tex]

Have fun.

Bob, the reason for doing so is to show off how fast your computer is

gb7nash said:
Found from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi

[tex]\pi = 4 \sum^\infty_{k=0}\frac{(-1)^k}{2k+1}[/tex]

Have fun.

mathman said:
This converges quite slowly. There are better ones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computing_π

These are estimations. My question is when they say the value of Pi is accurate to so and so number of digits with respect to the reference value of Pi, how did they come up with the reference value of Pi.

jobyts said:
These are estimations. My question is when they say the value of Pi is accurate to so and so number of digits with respect to the reference value of Pi, how did they come up with the reference value of Pi.

They're estimates of pi that are accurate to within 10-big number. For example, the infinite series converges exactly to pi, and because it's alternating you can get a bound on the error if you truncate it at only finitely many terms

Office_Shredder said:
They're estimates of pi that are accurate to within 10-big number. For example, the infinite series converges exactly to pi, and because it's alternating you can get a bound on the error if you truncate it at only finitely many terms

Ah, ok...got it. Thanks all.

The mentioned wikipage also states "While that series is easy to write and calculate, it is not immediately obvious why it yields π.".
Does that mean there no proof for the Pi series equation?

Office_Shredder said:
Bob, the reason for doing so is to show off how fast your computer is

I probably shouldn't make fun of calculating pi to an enormous number of digits, considering I once figured out that I could count up to 1,099,511,627,775 using my fingers and toes.

Seemed kind of impressive until I figured out a rough estimate of how long it would take to count that high. Then I decided I'd save that task until someone invented immortality.

jobyts said:
Ah, ok...got it. Thanks all.
The mentioned wikipage also states "While that series is easy to write and calculate, it is not immediately obvious why it yields π.".
Does that mean there no proof for the Pi series equation?

No, it means that some proofs are not immediately obvious.

In my own case, hardly any proofs are immediately obvious.

BobG said:
I probably shouldn't make fun of calculating pi to an enormous number of digits, considering I once figured out that I could count up to 1,099,511,627,775 using my fingers and toes.
Speaking of an enormous number of digits, it would appear that you have 40 fingers and toes, twice the usual number of the average Homo Sapiens.

brocks said:
In my own case, hardly any proofs are immediately obvious.
:rofl: :rofl:

1. What is the value of Pi?

The value of Pi is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is approximately 3.14159, but it is an irrational number and therefore has an infinite number of decimal places.

2. How is Pi calculated?

Pi is calculated by dividing the circumference of a circle by its diameter. This can be done using various methods, such as measuring a circle and performing the calculation manually, or using computer algorithms to approximate the value.

3. Who discovered Pi?

The concept of Pi has been studied and used in mathematics for thousands of years, but the first recorded calculation of Pi was done by the ancient Greek mathematician Archimedes in the 3rd century BC. However, the symbol "π" was first used by the mathematician William Jones in 1706.

4. Why is Pi important?

Pi is used in many mathematical equations and formulas, particularly in geometry and trigonometry. It is also a fundamental constant in many scientific and engineering fields, such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. Additionally, Pi has been a subject of fascination and study for mathematicians throughout history.

5. Is there an end to Pi?

No, there is no end to Pi. As an irrational number, it has an infinite number of decimal places and cannot be represented as a finite decimal or fraction. However, for most practical applications, using the first few decimal places of Pi is sufficient.