Value of x that maximises the integral in a numerical integrator

In summary: If looking for a maximum x for f(x)g(x), and assuming that f(x)g(x) has a maximum, then the maximum value will occur at one of the roots of the derivative of f(x)g(x).
CAF123
Gold Member
Consider an integral of form $$\int_a^b dx f(x) g(x).$$ Is it possible to tell a numerical integrator to spit out the value of ##x \in [a,b]## that maximises the value of ##f(x)g(x)##? I'm mostly interested in incorporating this into some code I have for adaptive integrator gsl_qags in C++.

Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
This link directs me simply to google -> in any case I suppose the gsl_qags will use some stepwise increment over the integration domain. Is it maybe simpler to print out the values sampled in the integration domain together with the value of the integrand? Then I can see the maximum by inspection. Thanks.

@DrClaude Thanks, sorry I see I was not careful with my expression, I meant the value of the integral in my above post.

Sorry, but I don't understand. Let's start from the beginning: what function do you want to maximise, and with respect to what parameter/variable?

Likes pbuk
CAF123 said:
I meant the value of the integral in my above post.

That doesn't make sense. You originally asked:

CAF123 said:
Is it possible to tell a numerical integrator to spit out the value of ##x \in [a,b]## that maximises the value of ##f(x)g(x)##?

If you meant maximizes the integral, then you would be asking for a particular value of ##x## that maximizes an integral over a range of values of ##x##. That doesn't make sense.

PeterDonis said:
That doesn't make sense. You originally asked:
If you meant maximizes the integral, then you would be asking for a particular value of ##x## that maximizes an integral over a range of values of ##x##. That doesn't make sense.

I suppose it might make sense if he/she wants---for some unknown reason--- to spit up the integral as
$$\int_a^b f(x) g(x) \, dx = \int_a^m f(x) g(x) \, dx + \int_m^b f(x) g(x) \, dx,$$
where ##m = \text{arg max}_{x \in [a,b]} \, f(x) g(x).##

Even then the problem may be ill-posed, because for some nasty functions ##f,g## the integrand could have hundreds of values of ##m##--that is, hundreds of points that maximize the integrand.

Ray Vickson said:
I suppose

Rather than suppose, I would like the OP to give more information about what the actual problem is.

If looking for a maximum x for f(x)g(x), and assuming that f(x)g(x) has a maximum, then the maximum value will occur at one of the roots of the derivative of f(x)g(x).

If looking for the maximum of the indefinite integral of f(x)g(x), and assuming that there is a maximum, then the maximum value will occur at one of the roots of f(x)g(x).

If looking for a maximum integral range, and if the entire range of the integral results in "positive" areas, then the maximum is the entire range. Otherwise you're looking for a range with a mix of "positive" and "negative" areas that has the maximum "positive" area, which seems complicated.

rcgldr said:
If looking for the maximum of the indefinite integral of f(x)g(x), and assuming that there is a maximum, then the maximum value will occur at one of the roots of f(x)g(x).

This doesn't make sense. You don't maximize an integral over a range of values of ##x## by picking one value of ##x##. See my response to the OP in post #7.

And in fact, you can't maximize an indefinite integral at all since it's indefinite. You might mean maximize the function of ##x## that is the antiderivative of the function ##f(x) g(x)##, but that's not quite the same thing.

PeterDonis said:
you can't maximize an indefinite integral at all since it's indefinite. You might mean maximize the function of ##x## that is the antiderivative of the function ##f(x) g(x)##, but that's not quite the same thing.
I meant antiderivative. "In calculus, an antiderivative, primitive function, primitive integral or indefinite integral ... "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiderivative

rcgldr said:
I meant antiderivative. "In calculus, an antiderivative, primitive function, primitive integral or indefinite integral ... "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiderivative

The OP started this all by stating a definite integral ##\int_a^b f(x) g(x) \, dx.##

I am closing this thread because there is no point in speculating about what the OP meant. The OP needs to tell us, and that hasn't happened.

@CAF123 if you want to clarify what you meant, please PM me; if I get sufficient clarification I can reopen the thread for discussion.

1. What is the value of x in a numerical integrator?

The value of x in a numerical integrator is the independent variable that is used to calculate the area under the curve in the integral. It represents the range of values over which the integral is being evaluated.

2. How does the value of x affect the integral in a numerical integrator?

The value of x has a significant impact on the integral in a numerical integrator. It determines the accuracy and precision of the integral calculation and can greatly influence the final result.

3. How can I determine the value of x that maximizes the integral in a numerical integrator?

The value of x that maximizes the integral in a numerical integrator can be determined through various methods such as trial and error, using mathematical formulas, or using specialized software. It ultimately depends on the specific integral and the desired level of accuracy.

4. Is there a specific range of values for x that will always maximize the integral in a numerical integrator?

No, there is not a specific range of values for x that will always maximize the integral in a numerical integrator. The optimal value of x depends on the specific function being integrated and the desired level of accuracy.

5. How can I ensure that the value of x I choose will give me the most accurate integral in a numerical integrator?

To ensure the most accurate integral in a numerical integrator, it is important to carefully consider the function being integrated and the desired level of accuracy. Using multiple methods of determining the optimal value of x and comparing the results can also help ensure accuracy.