1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Value of y

1. Nov 30, 2009 #1
    http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1383/68225760.png [Broken][/URL]

sin-1x=y & siny=x
    tan-1x=y & tany=x

The answer is E but I dont know how my teacher got to that. Can someone explain this to me please?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2
    Do you understand the inverse trig functions? The inverse trig functions find the angle of the triangle that satisfies the given relation. That is sin-1(t) is the angle theta such that sin(theta)=t. If you view t as t/1, then can you set up a triangle that has this property? Can you then find the length of the remaining edges so that you can find tan(theta), i.e. tan(sin-1(t))?

4. Nov 30, 2009 #3
    I'm still very confused

5. Nov 30, 2009 #4
    Okay. Set θ=sin-1(t). This means that sin(θ)=t (i.e. sin(θ)=t/1). This means that in a right triangle with one angle that is θ, the side opposite θ has length t and the hypotenuse has length 1. You can find the side adjacent to θ by using the Pythagorean theorem. Then all you have to do is find tan(θ) since tan(θ)=tan(sin-1(t)).

6. Nov 30, 2009 #5
    Okay, thank you so much you cleared that right up!

7. Nov 30, 2009 #6
    No problem! That is the general technique when doing these type of trig problems that contain inverse trig functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook