Calculating Pressure: Understanding the Relationship Between Volume and Force

In summary, the conversation discusses determining pressure using different units and formulas. The correct formula is F/A, but using LxWxH/1728 x 10 and converting units results in a different value. The conversation also mentions the use of imperial units and the correct volume calculation for a cylinder.
Idea04
I'm kind of confused on the value to determine pressure. I'm told that 2.31 feet equals 1 psi of pressure. But the formula F/A force divided by area brings up a different number. So I've got 6 feet hight of water with a 1 inch diamter area. So what I did is use LxWxH/1728 x 10 to get value in gallons (imperial gallons) and multiplied by 10.0200098 pounds to get the weight. Then divided by .785398163 square inches. So 4.175004083lbs / .785398163 = 5.315780301 psi. But according to the value above is 2.31 feet to 1 psi is 2.594402597 psi for 6 feet. What is wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
according to my table: [itex] 1 \psi = 6.89 \cdot 10^{3} Pa = 1 lbf \cdot in^{-2} [/itex]

Note the pressure is always a force on a surface and has units in the order of [itex] N\cdot m^{-2}[/itex]

Last edited:
Idea04 said:
I'm kind of confused on the value to determine pressure. I'm told that 2.31 feet equals 1 psi of pressure. But the formula F/A force divided by area brings up a different number. So I've got 6 feet hight of water with a 1 inch diamter area. So what I did is use LxWxH/1728 x 10 to get value in gallons (imperial gallons) and multiplied by 10.0200098 pounds to get the weight. Then divided by .785398163 square inches. So 4.175004083lbs / .785398163 = 5.315780301 psi. But according to the value above is 2.31 feet to 1 psi is 2.594402597 psi for 6 feet. What is wrong here?
Why use imperial units?

The volume of a 6 foot, 1 inch diameter column is 72 x .785 = 56.5 in.^3. = 926 cm^3 = .926 kg. = 2.04 lb. So the pressure is 2.04/.785 = 2.60 lb/in^2.

AM

Well...yeah, the volume of a cylinder isn't LxWxH for starters. ;)

1. What is the value to determine pressure?

The value to determine pressure is typically expressed in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa). This value is a measure of the amount of force exerted on a given area and is used to quantify the amount of pressure present in a system.

2. How is the value to determine pressure calculated?

The value to determine pressure is calculated by dividing the force applied to an area by the area itself. This can be represented by the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area. This calculation can be done using various techniques, such as using a pressure gauge or using mathematical equations in fluid dynamics.

3. What factors affect the value to determine pressure?

Several factors can affect the value to determine pressure, including the amount of force applied, the size of the area, and the properties of the material or fluid being measured. Temperature and altitude can also impact pressure values, as can the presence of other gases or liquids in the system.

4. Why is it important to determine pressure?

Determining pressure is important in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows us to understand and control the behavior of fluids, gases, and other substances in various systems. Pressure measurements also have practical applications, such as in industrial processes, medical procedures, and weather forecasting.

5. How is the value to determine pressure used in scientific research?

The value to determine pressure is used in a wide range of scientific research, such as studying the behavior of gases and liquids, understanding weather patterns, and developing new technologies. It is also a crucial factor in experiments and simulations that explore the effects of pressure on different materials and systems.