1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Values of concavity. Please help!

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For what intervals is g(x) = 1/(x^2+1) concave down?

2. Relevant equations

Quotient Rule

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, so I have found the first and second derivative, but I am confused as to how I should use them to find where the function is concave down. Do I set the second derivative equal to zero? Use the quadratic formula? I know the answer from the back of the book, but my attemps to get the same answer have failed. Please point me in the right direction! Thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Setting the second derivative equal to zero will give you the inflection points, but you also need to determine whether the second derivative is (+) or (-) on each side of these inflection points....what are you getting for your solution?

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    Ok, so for the 1st derivative I have:

-2x/(x^2+1)^2

Second:

-6x^2-2/ (x^2+1)^2

Do I need to factor the denom? Also, you stated that I need to determine the values on either side of the inflection points, I should do that with my calculator, right? So, if I have this correct, determining the value (+ or -) of the function on both sides of the inflection points will tell if the original funtion is concave up or down?

Thank you!

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Close, I get the numerator as being +6x^2-2... and you don't need to factor the denominator; the expression will only be zero when the numerator is zero....what does that give you for you inflection points?

6. Nov 9, 2008 #5
    WOW! You have been so much help!

I got

X= sqrt of (1/3)

So the function is concave down for all X values between -< X < + of sqrt (1/3)

I have been going crazy trying to figure this is out! Thank you for your time :)

7. Nov 9, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No problem :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?