Sources for Standard Model Coupling Constants at 91 GeV

• Thread starter LeBAEM
  • Start date
In summary, the values for the coupling constants in the Standard Model at 91 GeV are g(U1) = 0.357 and g(SU2) = 0.652, calculated using the minimal subtraction scheme. The original paper by Glashow, Weinberg, and Salam and the book "The Standard Model of Particle Physics" are recommended sources for further information on the theoretical aspects of the Standard Model and its renormalization calculations. Good luck with your research!
LeBAEM
Dear guys,

first of all I want to appologize if this question was already answered in this forum.
I tried the search enginge and did not get the right results.

According to the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model#Theoretical_aspects) about the SM, the values at 91 GeV are

g(U1) = 0.357
g(SU2) = 0.652

(the table says "minimial substraction scheme" was used for renomalization)

As I am a beginner and do not have the knowledge to do the renormalization calculations on my own, I am looking for a source, which I can quote .. (and afaik the authors of the wiki-article don't quote their source). As I am a little bit under time pressure, I would be very very glad, if someone would know a source.

I tried google, arxiv etc. but all I find are the LEP measurements from which those coupling constants could be calculated .. but no paper which did this ..

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear poster,

Thank you for your question. The values for the coupling constants at 91 GeV in the Standard Model are indeed as stated in the Wikipedia article. The minimal subtraction scheme is a commonly used method for renormalization in particle physics calculations.

As for a source to quote, I would recommend the original paper by Glashow, Weinberg, and Salam titled "The Unification of Electromagnetic and Weak Interactions" published in Physical Review Letters in 1967. This paper outlines the theoretical framework for the Standard Model and includes the values for the coupling constants at 91 GeV.

Additionally, the book "The Standard Model of Particle Physics" by Donoghue, Golowich, and Holstein also provides a comprehensive overview of the Standard Model and its theoretical aspects. Chapter 4 specifically discusses the renormalization scheme used in calculating the coupling constants.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the value of g at the Z-mass?

The value of g at the Z-mass is approximately 9.8 m/s². This is the standard acceleration due to gravity on Earth.

2. How is g' different from g at the Z-mass?

g' represents the gravitational acceleration at the Z-mass, taking into account the effects of the Z-boson particle. It is slightly different from the standard value of g due to the influence of the Z-boson on the gravitational force.

3. How is the value of g at the Z-mass calculated?

The value of g at the Z-mass is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which takes into account the masses and distances of the objects involved. In this case, the objects are the Z-boson particle and any other massive particles near the Z-mass.

4. Why is the value of g at the Z-mass important in physics?

The value of g at the Z-mass is important in physics because it helps us understand the fundamental forces of nature, such as gravity. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of particles at the Z-mass and in other scenarios involving gravity.

5. Does the value of g at the Z-mass vary in different locations?

Yes, the value of g at the Z-mass can vary slightly in different locations due to factors such as altitude, latitude, and geological features. However, these variations are generally very small and do not significantly affect the overall value of g at the Z-mass.