Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Valuing an antique

1. Mar 6, 2008 #1

Gold Member

I mean Clarence cliff? what a load of old cobblers, i would not give tuppence for any of it,
    and yet when some thing that has many, many hours work in it is valued at next to nothing
    makes my blood boil, what is wrong with arty people?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2008 #2
    Do you mean the world famous potter, Clarice Cliff? Her designs like Bizzare, were really outspoken for the time. She put the art in deco! I just love her work, but then again I am a big pottery fan.
  4. Mar 6, 2008 #3

Gold Member

Well sorry you must be nuts, what ever her name was she had no artistic talent, she was a doodler that some nuts latched on to , how the heck can you call her work art?
  5. Mar 6, 2008 #4
    You half to keep in mind the time when she started. There were no female pottery designers in all of the UK potteries{over 200 potteries}, the Jazz Age had just begun, Art Deco was changeing the looks of everything from buildings to trains. And in steps this little lady with bright bold colors and streamline shapes. People were tired of their grandmothers china.
    It took teams of painters and hundreds of workers to keep up with the demand, world wide for her wears.
    Antiques and collectables are always a matter of your personal tastes, but I find if you understand the era at the time they are made, you have a better understanding of the object its self.
  6. Mar 6, 2008 #5
    I have a Bible that's over 100 years old, but because it's a KJV Bible from a church that no longer exists (got closed down) it's worth almost nothing. If it was a family Bible it would be worth a great deal more. But why is it worth nothing except the paper it was written on, with the history it has? Not that I'm religious, but I had a phase as a child despite my parents lassai faire attitude to religion. And for me it's the only link I have to my grandmother now deceased, try telling me it's not worth something. :smile:

Ok slightly odd analogy but you get the point.
  7. Mar 7, 2008 #6
    I wish we could put a price on the things that mean the most to us. I also have something that has been in my family a very long time, worthless to anyone but me, but its the only thing other then papers, in my safty depost box.
  8. Mar 7, 2008 #7

Gold Member

Heck Hypatia, i value your opinion but where is the art (art to me comes from artisan) some one with skill, in her work, people just seem to latch on to names, and many talented people fall by the wayside.
  9. Mar 7, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not any more. I think it is widely agreed that the idea of art having anything to do with the "technical skill" died when Duchamp showed his "Fountain" for the first time.
    There is a good reason why "The Fountain" was voted "the most influential artwork of the 20th century" a few years ago, it quite literally changed the whole art world

I'd say Clarence cliff is very much a traditional artist, at least compared to artists like Duchamp
  10. Mar 7, 2008 #9
    We had a potter over here by the name of George Orr, he was named the "Mad Potter" and durring his lifetime sold almost nothing, because it was just horrid.
    If the teapot in the link were to auctioned, I'm sure it would bring around 250,000 dollars US:yuck:
  11. Mar 7, 2008 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:yuck: That is HORRID! Hey, if people want to spend money on ugly stuff because they've been convinced it's special, and not just something your kid could conjure together in school (really, my second grade "vases" looked better than that teapot :bugeye:), then great for the person selling the ugly stuff.

And, don't worry Wollie, we'll value you no matter how old you get. :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?