Could a Valveless Pulse Jet Engine Eliminate the Need for Moving Parts?

In summary: The late valveless pulse jet engines are said being used in some cruise missiles and drones.But scientists and engineers are reputed not fully understand and master this technology.From one you tube video the V1 appears to have used a ramp and rocket assist takeoff. Can anyone confirm a rocket assist? It may be that forward airspeed effects engine tuning and thus power output. What I mean is that if the fuel is metered for cruse speed it may not have enough power for takeoff from a standing start without an inconveniently long launch ramp.There is a detailed description of V1 technology and operating in seven parts (p1 - p7) in youtube. (Originally used as instruction for
Phrak
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What, not inpressive? These things actually work.

"Valveless Pulse Jet" sounds like "ramjet" to me.

Check it out. These jets will run on a static platform. There are a dozen other YouTube videos by various amatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U-grFuXZ9U

For the combustion cycle, see Wikipedia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant! Like a ramjet but doesn't need supersonic speeds to operate - just a resonant inlet. I'm surprised the inlet doesn't face forwards. Does anyone know why?

I did a bit of reading into it. It seems that for these size, the turbulence caused by the bend is preferable.

Neat idea, I'd love to see some good analysis on it.

It appears that thrust is developed out of both nozzles, though in unequal amounts.

Smart!

The only snag with them would be that they will only work over a small range of powers, I expect and where would you use one? (Apart from just to prove it worked)

I suppose you could always use them to send bombs or boxes of sweets to a neighbouring country LOL.

From the movie, it seems that it works from a standing start, whereas the V1 pulse jet needed to be launched in order to get it going.

Actually, you could use two such engines on either end of a long rotating arm and get a rotary motion. (mind your head!)

the people at the madagascar inst have used them to power a merry go round
I was wanting to build one as a high temp source. being as O2 is completely consumed the main exhaust is pretty oxygen free. I was wanting to use it as my heat for melting aluminum cans into ingots. at 130+ db, it sure would get the neighbors attention lighting the bbq smoker pit with...lol
the plans i have are for one that builds about 2 lbs of thrust
lots of plans on the net

dr

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
The only snag with them would be that they will only work over a small range of powers, I expect and where would you use one? (Apart from just to prove it worked)

I suppose you could always use them to send bombs or boxes of sweets to a neighbouring country LOL.

From the movie, it seems that it works from a standing start, whereas the V1 pulse jet needed to be launched in order to get it going.

Actually, you could use two such engines on either end of a long rotating arm and get a rotary motion. (mind your head!)

I'm impressed by the simplicity, although 120 decibels (exaggeration) is a drawback, and the fact that they will apparently melt if run continuously.

There are a few variables that can effect the power band/fuel consumption. Changing the frequency by varying the length of the longer tube, the re-ignition tube, is one of them.

sophiecentaur said:

V1 engines didn't need speed to work according to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8PF5DtX_Fg&NR=1

where authentic V1 engine is started. As if a since long dead mummy is awaken.

The late valveless pulse jet engines are said being used in some cruise missiles and drones.
But scientists and engineers are reputed not fully understand and master this technology.

From one you tube video the V1 appears to have used a ramp and rocket assist takeoff. Can anyone confirm a rocket assist? It may be that forward airspeed effects engine tuning and thus power output. What I mean is that if the fuel is metered for cruse speed it may not have enough power for takeoff from a standing start without an inconveniently long launch ramp.

Last edited:
There is a detailed description of V1 technology and operating in seven parts (p1 - p7) in youtube. (Originally used as instruction for Nazi officers?)

In this video (p4) the launching technique is explained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XiRkk4zYtU&feature=related

In this video (p5) the V1 is launched
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcup3W6uy_E&NR=1

So the V1 engine is started before launching but has not thrust to accelerate
sufficiently fast without help from a pressure-driven piston in a cylinder in ramp.

sophiecentaur said:
From the movie, it seems that it works from a standing start, whereas the V1 pulse jet needed to be launched in order to get it going

With no offense to anyone, I'm simply too tired right now to read all of the posts in their entirety or look at any of the links at all. I promise to do so in the next day or so.
For now, though, I can definitely state that the quoted statement is in error. The V1 used a launching ramp to eliminate a runway and the wheels to utilize it. (The Natter used essentially the same ramp, but that was a whole different bird.)
While the war was still under way, instrumentation showed that something like 85% of the fresh intake charge for the next firing cycle of a pulse jet was sucked in through the tailpipe instead of the shutter-valve box in front. It didn't take long after that to work out that the dynamics within the chamber could be tuned to provide a variety of operational responses. The valveless version is based upon (maybe not the proper technical term) a "standing" shockwave, that is formed by the combustion pressure itself, sealing off the front of the chamber.

What is a valveless pulse jet engine?

A valveless pulse jet engine is a type of jet engine that operates by creating a series of rapid combustion and compression cycles within a tube. It does not have any moving parts or valves, and relies on the principle of a resonant combustion chamber to produce thrust.

How does a valveless pulse jet engine work?

A valveless pulse jet engine works by drawing in air through an intake, compressing it, and then igniting it using a spark plug. This causes a rapid combustion and expansion of gases, which forces the exhaust gases out of the exhaust pipe, creating thrust. This process is repeated continuously to produce sustained thrust.

What are the advantages of a valveless pulse jet engine?

One of the main advantages of a valveless pulse jet engine is its simplicity. It has fewer moving parts compared to traditional jet engines, making it easier to build and maintain. It also has a high power-to-weight ratio, making it an efficient choice for certain applications.

What are the limitations of a valveless pulse jet engine?

One of the main limitations of a valveless pulse jet engine is its high fuel consumption. It also produces a lot of noise and vibration due to the rapid combustion cycles. Additionally, it has a limited range of operating speeds and is not suitable for high-speed applications.

What are some common uses for valveless pulse jet engines?

Valveless pulse jet engines are commonly used in model airplanes, rockets, and small unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). They have also been used in some experimental aircraft and missiles. In addition, they have potential applications in waste disposal, heating, and power generation.