1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Valves, seals, and latches

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    Hello folks. I'm a physics major, but have recently become more interested in engineering. I've been playing around with emachineshop and SolidWorks and tinkering with designs, but I am finding that I have a pretty poor working knowledge of basic mechanisms - in particular, I am having trouble mating parts.

So my question is: Is there a website, or database, or even a good book where I can browse such devices, preferably with short descriptions, pictures, or schematics? In particular, I am interested in mechanical mating devices like latches, valves, seals, and the like.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate it! Thanks very much and happy engineering!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2010 #2
    Simon from Big Blue Saw here. A good place to start is the McMaster-Carr website. They have a large variety of industrial products, and also have some technical data and even CAD models for the products they sell.

You might also take a look at the catalog from a specialized supplier of the products you're looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook