Van de Graaff generator energy question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy required to add an additional electron to a negatively charged Van de Graaff generator that is already charged to 50,000 volts. The calculated answer is -8x10^-18 joules, but the accuracy of this answer is questioned due to the conflicting information about the original charge of the sphere.
Aprilshowers
I would appreciate help with this problem:
If a Van de Graaff generator is charged to 50,000 volts, how much
energy does it take to add an additional electron to the charge on the
sphere? (I know that the charge on an electron is -1.6 x 10^-19 C)
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A volt is a "joule/coulomb"

You got volts, you got coulombs, you want joules.

So I multiplied 50000 x -1.6x10^-19
and I get for an answer: -8x10^-18 joules
Does that look right?

Aprilshowers said:
So I multiplied 50000 x -1.6x10^-19
and I get for an answer: -8x10^-18 joules
Does that look right?

Your exponent is not correct. If the sphere is negatively charged to begin with, to add another electron will require positive work. The original 50,000V potential of the sphere would actually be negative. I'm not sure what the intent of the problem is. "Additional electron" hints that it was negatively charged to begin with, but the positive voltage suggests it was positive.

1. How does a Van de Graaff generator produce energy?

A Van de Graaff generator produces energy by using a motor to turn a rubber belt that moves charges to the top of a large metal sphere. The charges are then transferred to a smaller metal sphere, creating a high voltage potential difference between the two spheres. This potential difference can be used to generate electricity or create electric sparks.

2. What is the principle behind the Van de Graaff generator?

The Van de Graaff generator operates on the principle of electrostatic induction, which states that charges can be transferred from one object to another through contact or through a non-conducting medium. In this case, the rubber belt and metal spheres act as the conductors, transferring charges through friction and electrostatic induction.

3. What is the maximum voltage that a Van de Graaff generator can produce?

The maximum voltage that a Van de Graaff generator can produce depends on the size and design of the generator. However, modern Van de Graaff generators can produce voltages up to several million volts.

4. What are the practical applications of a Van de Graaff generator?

A Van de Graaff generator has various practical applications, including generating static electricity for demonstrations or experiments, powering x-ray tubes, and accelerating particles for scientific research. It is also used in some industrial processes, such as electrostatic painting.

5. Is a Van de Graaff generator safe to use?

When used properly, a Van de Graaff generator is safe to use. However, it can produce high voltages that can be dangerous if not handled carefully. It is important to follow safety precautions and avoid touching the generator while it is in operation.