Help with Van de Graaff Generator & PVC Pipe Setup

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's attempt at building a van de graaff generator for their physics class. The student has used materials such as pvc pipe, rubber bands, and a plastic pulley, but it is not working. They question if the reason for this could be the lack of a glass tube, based on a tutorial they followed. Another person suggests using a glass or nylon tube, as rubber and plastic are on the same end of the "triboelectric series".
demhaha

Homework Statement

I have to make a van de graaff generator for my physics class.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I put it together and it doesn't work at all. Please help. Is the reason it isn't working is that i don't have a glass tube or something else?

Homework Statement

We build one using pvc pipe, thin rubber band, small dc motor, and 2 plastic pulleys, brush wire, and a can. I made it based on this tutorial http://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/electro/electro6.html The only difference is that mine uses a plastic pulley where the glass tube should go.

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
If that's the only difference, then its probably a good clue. Try using a glass (or maybe nylon) tube. The reason for it not working is rubber and plastic are on the same end of the "triboelectric series".

1. How do I set up a Van de Graaff generator and PVC pipe?

Setting up a Van de Graaff generator and PVC pipe involves the following steps:

• Assemble the base of the generator according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  • Attach the belt to the motor and the top roller of the generator.
  • Slide the PVC pipe over the top roller of the generator.
  • Secure the PVC pipe with clamps or tape.
  • Turn on the motor and adjust the height of the PVC pipe to achieve the desired spark length.

2. What materials do I need to build a Van de Graaff generator and PVC pipe setup?

The basic materials needed to build a Van de Graaff generator and PVC pipe setup include:

• Van de Graaff generator kit
  • PVC pipe
  • Clamps or tape
  • Electrical wire
  • Insulating materials (e.g. styrofoam, plastic wrap)
  • Metal sphere or pointed conductor

3. How does a Van de Graaff generator and PVC pipe setup work?

A Van de Graaff generator and PVC pipe setup works by creating static electricity through the transfer of charges between the belt and the PVC pipe. The motor turns the belt, which rubs against the PVC pipe, causing electrons to be transferred from the pipe to the belt. The belt then carries the electrons up to the top roller, creating a positive charge on the roller. This positive charge attracts electrons from the surrounding air, creating a buildup of negative charge on the metal sphere or pointed conductor placed near the top of the PVC pipe. When the buildup of negative charge is strong enough, it will cause a spark to jump from the metal sphere to the PVC pipe, completing the circuit and releasing the stored energy.

4. What safety precautions should I take when using a Van de Graaff generator and PVC pipe setup?

When using a Van de Graaff generator and PVC pipe setup, it is important to take the following safety precautions:

• Make sure the generator is grounded to prevent electric shocks.
  • Do not touch the metal sphere or pointed conductor while the generator is in operation.
  • Keep hair, clothing, and other objects away from the generator to avoid getting caught in the moving belt.
  • Avoid using the generator in humid or wet conditions, as this can reduce its effectiveness and increase the risk of electric shocks.
  • Always have adult supervision when using the generator, especially for children.

5. What are some possible experiments or demonstrations I can do with a Van de Graaff generator and PVC pipe setup?

There are many experiments and demonstrations that can be done with a Van de Graaff generator and PVC pipe setup. Some ideas include:

• Lighting up a fluorescent light bulb by holding it near the metal sphere or pointed conductor.
  • Creating a miniature lightning storm by placing a conductor, such as a metal rod, on top of the PVC pipe.
  • Demonstrating static electricity by using the PVC pipe to pick up small pieces of paper or aluminum foil.
  • Measuring the strength of the electric field created by the generator using a voltmeter.
  • Exploring the effects of different insulating materials, such as plastic wrap or styrofoam, on the buildup of electric charge.