Understanding Van de Graaff Questions: Explaining the Lack of Arc Formation

In summary, the voltage at a distance from the V de G machine is not high enough to cause a sustained high current discharge, such as an arc, which is why we only see a few electrons flying off the nail and not a visible arc. However, if the object was placed closer to the machine, the voltage gradient would be higher and could result in a visible arc.
JFS321
Hi all, I've been playing with a van de graaff this week. As I'm sure you know, pointing a nail at someone with their hair raised by the machine will result in the hair immediately sticking back down. I can easily imagine electrons flying off of the tip of the nail and into the hair of the demonstrator, but this is what I don't understand well: Why would this not cause an arc, too (since electrons are moving)?

My explanation: The voltage at that distance simply too weak to initiate a concerted gas breakdown...In other words, I reason that only a "few" electrons are flying off of the nail and do not ionize enough gas to be visible in an arc as compared to a deluge of electrons if the object was placed close enough to create an arc.

Is this reasoning correct? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
JFS321 said:
Hi all, I've been playing with a van de graaff this week. As I'm sure you know, pointing a nail at someone with their hair raised by the machine will result in the hair immediately sticking back down. I can easily imagine electrons flying off of the tip of the nail and into the hair of the demonstrator, but this is what I don't understand well: Why would this not cause an arc, too (since electrons are moving)?

My explanation: The voltage at that distance simply too weak to initiate a concerted gas breakdown...In other words, I reason that only a "few" electrons are flying off of the nail and do not ionize enough gas to be visible in an arc as compared to a deluge of electrons if the object was placed close enough to create an arc.

i

I believe you are correct, but I'm not sure how to prove it. Objects can acquire and discharge very high voltage static charges with only tiny currents.

Perhaps if you could surround it with a noble gas, such as in a plasma globe, you could make the currents visible.

JFS321 said:

The books on electrostatics describe "action at points". In these cases, the charge carriers are small particles such as dust or water, which are able to pick up electrons from the point and are then repelled, forming a wind. If the voltage gradient is high enough near the point, then a number of other discharge methods are possible - the silent discharge, the brush discharge, the spark and the arc for instance. An arc is what you see in welding, and is a sustained high current discharge, which we do not see with the V de G machine because it can only furnish a few microamps.

1. What is a Van de Graaff generator?

A Van de Graaff generator is a device that uses static electricity to create high voltages. It consists of a belt that carries positive charges, a metal sphere that collects the charges, and a high-voltage source to supply the charges.

2. How does a Van de Graaff generator work?

The Van de Graaff generator works by using a belt made of insulating material, such as rubber, to carry positive charges from the bottom of the generator to the top. As the belt moves, it rubs against a metal comb, transferring the charges to the metal sphere at the top of the generator. This creates a high voltage difference between the sphere and the ground.

3. Why is there a lack of arc formation in Van de Graaff generators?

In a Van de Graaff generator, the high voltage is created between the metal sphere and the ground. However, due to the large distance between the two, the air acts as an insulator and prevents the charges from jumping across to form an arc. Additionally, the generator is designed to minimize the chance of an arc forming.

4. Are arc formations dangerous in Van de Graaff generators?

No, arc formations are not dangerous in Van de Graaff generators. The high voltage is contained within the metal sphere and does not pose a threat to the user. However, touching the generator while it is in operation can result in a small shock due to the static electricity.

5. What are some practical applications of Van de Graaff generators?

Van de Graaff generators have various applications in science and technology. They are commonly used in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and electrostatic motors. They are also used in demonstrations and experiments to showcase the principles of static electricity and high voltage.