What is the molecular diameter of hydrogen using Van der Waals coefficients?

In summary, the problem is to calculate the molecular diameter of hydrogen using the spherical shape assumption and the van der Waals coefficients for hydrogen. The solution involves using the constant b to estimate the radius of a molecule, and then calculating the diameter from there. The inclusion of the constant a is not relevant in this problem.
mikeclinton

Homework Statement

Calculate the molecular diameter of hydrogen, assuming the spherical shape on the basis of van der Waals coefficients.

Van der Waals Coefficients for hydrogen
a = 0.244 atm L2.mol-2
b*103 = 26.6 L.mol-1

Homework Equations

Not indicated in the problem but I would think the Van der Waals equation of state.

The Attempt at a Solution

For hydrogen:
Since the constant b is an indication of molecular volume, it could be used to estimate the radius of an atom or molecule, modeled as a sphere. This leads to the following estimate of radius:

V = b/N = (26.6 x 10-6)/6.02*1023 (I have first converted b unit to m3/mol)
V = 4πr3/3
which gives r = 0.219nm
corresponding to a molecular diameter D = 0.438nm

I would like to know if my reasoning is correct; especially the equation V = b/N
I'm also confused about the inclusion of the a constant in the problem when it isn't needed as far as I know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Mike,

I think what you did looks good. You can check it here with the simplest of all googles.
There it also explains the other coefficient has to do with attractive force among molecules -- and indeed isn't relevant.

Hi there, sorry for the late reply. Thank you for confirming my solution; I was starting to wonder if there was another shortcut that involves a...

What is the Van der Waals diameter and how is it calculated?

The Van der Waals diameter is a measure of the distance between two non-bonded atoms or molecules at their closest approach. It is calculated by taking into account the size of the atoms or molecules, as well as their attractive and repulsive forces.

How does the Van der Waals diameter affect intermolecular interactions?

The Van der Waals diameter plays a crucial role in intermolecular interactions, as it determines the strength of the attractive and repulsive forces between molecules. Larger Van der Waals diameters result in stronger intermolecular interactions, while smaller diameters result in weaker interactions.

What is the difference between Van der Waals diameter and covalent bond length?

The Van der Waals diameter is a measure of the distance between two non-bonded atoms or molecules, while covalent bond length is a measure of the distance between two bonded atoms. Van der Waals diameter takes into account both attractive and repulsive forces, while covalent bond length only considers the shared electrons between atoms.

What factors can affect the Van der Waals diameter of a molecule?

The Van der Waals diameter of a molecule can be affected by several factors, such as the size of the atoms or molecules, the number and strength of intermolecular forces, and the temperature and pressure of the surrounding environment.

How is the Van der Waals diameter used in the study of molecular interactions?

The Van der Waals diameter is an important parameter in the study of molecular interactions, as it can help predict the strength and type of interactions between molecules. It is also used in computer simulations and models to understand and predict the behavior of molecules in various environments.